Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Games keep crashing.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey! I keep getting crashes on all my games and I mean AAALLLLLLLL my games! I reinstalled the OS because I got a 128GB Vertex 4 boot drive and since then all my games will randomly crash. Sometimes it will be every 30 seconds and other times it will not happen at all for a few days. I have no idea what it is but it is making me mad! I was just playing RAGE on Ultra Nightmare (on scorchers DLC) and was on a really annoying race where each time I was like 2 seconds to late and was on lap 3 of 3 almost at the finish with plenty of time left and then BOOM!!! windows is in my face.(RAGE still playing in background right now) So yeah it is very very very etc, annoying and I am ssssooooooooo close to smashing my $350 Samsung Monitor. Also rarely when I start windows there is a program running called Zippy OSD What is it? This also never ever appeared before I reinstalled. And yes maybe reinstalling the OS may fix it but.... I have over 700GB of games that are just on STEAM I would have to re download and the internet where I live is stupidly slow. Can download about 2-5GB every day if I leave a download going 24/7 (paying $250 a month for internet... Rip off!!!) then I also have a ton of projects on UDK that I am designing that I would need to back up. If you know why my games are crashing I would appreciate it if you could help. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Games keep crashing.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's go over the usual recommendations...

• Update Windows with the latest patches
  • Make sure you have the latest DirectX Runtimes.
  • Make sure your drivers are at their latest versions
  • Update and scan your computer for malware
  • Make sure your hardware isn't overheating.

Also you don't have to redownload your Steam games. I have mine downloaded on a separate disk and have a copy on an external. Even if I need to wipe Windows, I just make sure the games are in the steamapps folder when I get Steam reinstalled.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey thanks for responding!! I have done all that. And my hardware shouldn't be over heating. My GPU goes up to around 70C I think when gaming and idles at around 45C. And my CPU should be fine. I haven't used... Ugh can't think of the name. It's a app that shows CPU usage and utilizes core temp for my tempatures. Well can't find it anymore so haven't seen my CPU temp in a while bit I am using a Corsair H100 with Antec Nano Diamond thermal compound. Also my case has a total of 8 fans installed all running at 2000-4000RPM so I should be fine with temps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Just thought maybe I can run core temp by itself! So I downloaded it and my average temps idling are 28C - 34C. I am going to run a bench mark and run it hard and monitor the temps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Did you install the new Vertex on AHCI, not IDE? I've seen this before.

Next, what is your GPU and how does it connect to your panel? HDMI, DVI?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:12 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

OK so the highest I could get my CPU was 55C and it didn't do anything odd. with normal gaming it hits about 45C. And I have no idea what the AHCI is but if its a connecter then I am using SATA III 6GB/s. Not using an IDE!LOL! I am using a Nvidia EVGA GTX 580 3072MB GDDR5 and has a DVI to HDMI adapter on the video card it connects to my monitor with HDMI. I have been gaming about 8 hours today and it only crashed once. I can almost always click on the game icon and start back right where I was. Still Annoying... Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You need to go to school. It's not a connector, it's a connection protocol set within your bios. So odds are, you're in IDE. Use Blackl to fix.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:33 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

So I checked my Bios and... I am in AHCI Mode. Any other suggestions? OK... I was gonna upload some photos but says it failed each time. Is there a size limit? They are only 259KB and 273KB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:35 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I am running a virus scan right now in case it is because of one. Using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 ROG Edition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can also go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and check the system logs for any errors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

How do I search for errors? Also any other suggestions? I am just about out of patience and am going to just reinstall my OS if this keeps up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:56 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

How do I search for errors? Also any other suggestions? I am just about out of patience and am going to just reinstall my OS if this keeps up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:23 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Sorry about the double post!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're in the systems logs, click on the "Level" column.