Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Installed ram on laptop, now power button does nothing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 pm 

hi everyone. i just joined

im installing windows 8 and upgrading the ram on two laptops for a friend of a friend. i took off the back plate on the hp g7-1237dx and swapped out the ram. from previous laptop ram upgrades years ago, i thought i was going to have to remove the keyboard to get to the other ram slot. i didn't realize that the ram slots stacked on top of each other because the laptop only had 1 stick in it. so i was loosening the edges of the laptop to see if i could remove the keyboard. something unseen was still anchoring the laptop together in the center but i was able to see all the way around to see there was no ram slot under the keyboard. that's when i noticed you could stack them.

i put everything back together and put the 2nd stick in, plugged in the power without the battery, the little white light next to the power connector came on so i know it's getting power; i press the power button and nothing happens. no lights, no noises, nothing. if it was the hard drive, i should still see the bios start. it's almost like the power button is disconnected. i opened it back up to look inside, and it doesn't look like i would have been able to unplug the connection for the power button with as little as i was bending the keyboard back.

does anyone know if i'm missing some trick with hp laptops? i don't think i damage the power supply or motherboard in any way but if it's not the power button then maybe one of those 2 crapped out somehow? im pretty sure static was not the cause. im stumped!!

thanks for any answers in advance. i'd like to finish these laptops before xmas just in case he was doing this as a gift for someone