Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Feedback about August 2004 issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:28 pm 

I like the new forums! Way to go MaxPC!

In the August issue, page 30, someone said their broadband connection seemed slow. In a nutshell, you said you didn't know anything that could fix the problem, and to think about switching ISPs. :?

BOOOO! :shock:

I always turn to your mag for top-of-the-line info and new tips (I love the WinXP tips in this issue!!!), but this is sub-par for you guys. I work at tech support for a cable ISP, and I certainly have PLENTY of things you can do to speed up your broadband connection:

1. Run a spyware removal program. Be sure to check for updates (the latest spyware definitions) first. This is HUGE!

2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any unused/unneeded programs.

3. Check for and remove proxy settings in IE (Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections tab-->LAN settings-->uncheck all)

4. Defragment the hard drive (Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Defragmenter).

5. Try disabling your antivirus program temporarily.

6. Run the antivirus program manually.

7. Run msconfig and try disabling startup items (except for SysTray in Win9x systems). (For help selectively disabling msconfig startup entries, check out Pacman's Portal [http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php])

8. Close down any file-sharing programs (like Kazaa, Limewire, etc.). Folks call me all the time complaining about their slow connection while they're uploading 6 files and downloading 14... and ping times to their computer are 800-1200ms....

9. Disable the firewall. Uninstall and reinstall if necessary.

10. Make sure modem isn't in standby mode (RCA and Motorola modems).

11. Make sure DNS servers aren't set up statically (check TCP/IP settings).

12. Bypass the router and reset the modem/computers.

13. Call your cable ISP and have them run a test on your modem to make sure you have a good signal.

Ack! C'mon guys, you could've tried better than that!!! Granted, some of the things in this list are more for non-connectivity than slow connectivity, but still.... :wink: You're still, by far, my favorite mag!!!

Hope this helps!

- Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

hidinhim777 wrote:
Hope this helps!
Helped confuse people, maybe...thanks.

Most of those have ZERO affect on a cable connection. If spyware or a frag'd drive is slowing you down, then again, I'd change ISP's as they lied to you by giving you a 30k connection. Clogging a 3-5M line is very hard to do. And 1-4 & 7 won't have any affect on your connection.

5, 6, and 9 are not an option to even consider on a broadband connection. You should only have a problem when installing programs. With any of this OFF, how can it do it's job???? What's your view of what a firewall does? Turning that or your AV program off while browsing the interenet is counter productive. In your "advice", might as well uninstall it all together.

Make sure modem isn't in standby? Make sure DNS servers aren't set up statically? Bypass the routers? Are you cut-and-pasting this off a help site? You forgot, "make sure your modem is plugged into the wall"

In the future, I'd really re-think what the hell you advice thousands of others to do before posting. I stand by the mag and say there's not much you can do besides switching ISP's. Visting DSLreports and running the tests are the only tools I would advise the unaware.

"Booo" to you :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:48 pm 

Boy, don't you have a burr up your ass.

I made that list up my own damn self from years of experience troubleshooting thousands of customers. Spyware sure as hell WILL slow your connection to a crawl, and CAN keep you from connecting altogether. So can having craploads of TSRs on a heavily fragmented hard drive. A mass-mailing worm can do the same, which is why manually updating and running the AV program is important.

You're right that one might as well uninstall as disable an AV or firewall program, but since I represent the cable company I can't tell people to uninstall software from their computer because the company would be liable. I've seen firewalls and AV programs block content/ftp access/cookies on webpages, making the webpages seem to load slowly, when parts of the webpages are actually not loading at all. Using proxy settings on a cable network that doesn't use them (they can be put into IE by spyware) can also make your webpages slow, if they load at all.

Putting in static DNS settings for a server nowhere near you can certainly slow down your webpages, and I've seen faulty routers cause connection issues that were eliminated once the router was removed.

I already posted that some of the points were for non-connectivity than slow connectivity (in the case of the standby light on the modems), so read the post, troll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I thought it was a decent list :thumbsup:

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:49 pm 

I appreciate the props :P

...and I still think MaxPC totally rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:55 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

hidinhim777 wrote:
Boy, don't you have a burr up your ass.

No, just don't agree with you. That's ok, right?
Quote:
I made that list up my own damn self
Proud of ya.
Quote:
from years of experience troubleshooting thousands of customers. Spyware sure as hell WILL slow your connection to a crawl, and CAN keep you from connecting altogether. So can having craploads of TSRs on a heavily fragmented hard drive. A mass-mailing worm can do the same, which is why manually updating and running the AV program is important.

Ok, this is where we're getting to the meat of the subject. The original point of the post, I were to believe, was on a slow connection and MPC's response. I do see your disclaimer about total non-connectivity and you're dead-nuts-on for this. But this also brings up why I don't agree with you. As you point out, a worm will screach you to a halt. While you go into some good points, you turn right around and say to turn off AV and the Firewall which can ruin good advice.
See...
Quote:
You're right that one might as well uninstall as disable an AV or firewall program...
I didn't say that. No...DON'T uninstall AV or Firewalls. They prevent troubles if someone sets them up right.
Quote:
but since I represent the cable company I can't tell people to uninstall software from their computer because the company would be liable.
You only represent yourself here. If you feel that people should actually take these items out, then say so. I strongly disagree with this advice.
Quote:
I already posted that some of the points were for non-connectivity than slow connectivity (in the case of the standby light on the modems), so read the post, troll.
So you smack MPC for not giving advice about something the reader didn't have a problem with!? He had a connection. It was just slow. Only like 2 of items on your list would help, if at all.

And don't call me a troll. On your 3rd post here in the forums, you should at least attempt to get used to the members around here before you start throwing direct insults. I don't see where I flame you. I hate 90% of your post and brought those points to light. If you don't like it, fine. I just feel that you have 2 different subjects and would have been great in 2 seperate posts. If I called in for tech help about a slow connection and the guy on the phone treated it like I had NO connection, I'd be very sore with said techsupport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:46 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Chumly wrote:
hidinhim777 wrote:
Hope this helps!
Helped confuse people, maybe...thanks.

Most of those have ZERO affect on a cable connection. If spyware or a frag'd drive is slowing you down, then again, I'd change ISP's as they lied to you by giving you a 30k connection. Clogging a 3-5M line is very hard to do. And 1-4 & 7 won't have any affect on your connection.

5, 6, and 9 are not an option to even consider on a broadband connection. You should only have a problem when installing programs. With any of this OFF, how can it do it's job???? What's your view of what a firewall does? Turning that or your AV program off while browsing the interenet is counter productive. In your "advice", might as well uninstall it all together.

Make sure modem isn't in standby? Make sure DNS servers aren't set up statically? Bypass the routers? Are you cut-and-pasting this off a help site? You forgot, "make sure your modem is plugged into the wall"

In the future, I'd really re-think what the hell you advice thousands of others to do before posting. I stand by the mag and say there's not much you can do besides switching ISP's. Visting DSLreports and running the tests are the only tools I would advise the unaware.

"Booo" to you :evil:

Right or wrong, with the [PC] badge I would expect you to come off with a bit more diplomacy. He is giving feedback in the proper folder and he is forum newb - cut him some slack. Further, if you read the question on page thirty you will realize his complaint is legit:

Original Problem
"My broadband connection feels like its downloading really slow."

Problem answered:
"My broadband connection is really slow."

If the connection itself is actually slow, then I agree with you and the mag - call your ISP and consider switching.

However, as you should well know, there are a number of things that can cause a connection to "feel" slow and in fact act slow.
    system bloat
    a hardware misconfiguration
    spyware - or p2p jacked system
    misconfigured services
    poorly operating or configured browser
    etc...

True enough that none of the above is directly an issue of the connection speed. The user should check that and MPC seemed to assume that it was checked. However, the word "feel" is very important here. All to often a connection that "feels" slow is actually the fault of something on the user's end.

EDIT - just saw your later post - now you get back to acting [PC] - but can you blame him for calling you a troll??

lol

Have fun Chums

Manta

Post subject: Re: Feedback about August 2004 issue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:11 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

hidinhim777 wrote:
I like the new forums! Way to go MaxPC!

In the August issue, page 30, someone said their broadband connection seemed slow. In a nutshell, you said you didn't know anything that could fix the problem, and to think about switching ISPs. :?

BOOOO! :shock:

I always turn to your mag for top-of-the-line info and new tips (I love the WinXP tips in this issue!!!), but this is sub-par for you guys. I work at tech support for a cable ISP, and I certainly have PLENTY of things you can do to speed up your broadband connection:

1. Run a spyware removal program. Be sure to check for updates (the latest spyware definitions) first. This is HUGE!

2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any unused/unneeded programs.

3. Check for and remove proxy settings in IE (Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections tab-->LAN settings-->uncheck all)

4. Defragment the hard drive (Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Defragmenter).

5. Try disabling your antivirus program temporarily.

6. Run the antivirus program manually.

7. Run msconfig and try disabling startup items (except for SysTray in Win9x systems). (For help selectively disabling msconfig startup entries, check out Pacman's Portal [http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php])

8. Close down any file-sharing programs (like Kazaa, Limewire, etc.). Folks call me all the time complaining about their slow connection while they're uploading 6 files and downloading 14... and ping times to their computer are 800-1200ms....

9. Disable the firewall. Uninstall and reinstall if necessary.

10. Make sure modem isn't in standby mode (RCA and Motorola modems).

11. Make sure DNS servers aren't set up statically (check TCP/IP settings).

12. Bypass the router and reset the modem/computers.

13. Call your cable ISP and have them run a test on your modem to make sure you have a good signal.

Ack! C'mon guys, you could've tried better than that!!! Granted, some of the things in this list are more for non-connectivity than slow connectivity, but still.... :wink: You're still, by far, my favorite mag!!!

Hope this helps!

- Jonathan

Lests go through your list Jonathan - For fun :) . And maybe explain why Chumly has a problem

1 - this is good advice. Generally, it would take a large amount of spyware to clog a connection. Yet, it doesn't take alot to make a connection appear slower.

2 - This is good advice provided the user actually knows what to get rid off. Again, this may help make a connection seem faster

3 - I am a bit weary of this one. Certain situations may require this.

4 - This is a last ditch straw grasp for most folks. I doubt it would help much unless the drive is nearly full and is slow in general.

5 - OK.....well, you should not advise this. Not that I haven't done it myself to check something - but its advice you should stay away from in a Forum like this. The truth is, if you suspect that AV is causing a problem, you probably can get away with disabling it and running a check - But advising that around here will get you flamed until you have the credentials to be trusted. Even though I do it - I don't advise it around here. It may sound stupid - but its just the way it is.

6 - if you do number 5, then you should follow with this

7 - good general advise

8 - Better yet - don't use them

9 - I assume you mean while not connected and you are NOT saying to completely uninstall and not use a personal firewall at all right?

10-13 - this is off the subject of a seemingly slow connection and more of a "no connection" issue (I think Chumly pointed that out).

I think Chumly's issue is that you two are looking at two different issues.

He is looking at it the way MPC looked at it - as if the connection actually is slow.

You are looking at it the way the problem was stated - that the connection seems slow.

You are right IMO, MPC should have either restated the problem, or touch on the difference between "slow" and "seeming slow".

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:36 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Chumly wrote:

you're right, spyware/viruses aren't enough to bog down a broadband bandwidth. however, they do bog down IE, which in most cases made people think it's the 'Internet' that is slow.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:56 pm 

Thanks for the explanation, Mantabase... I think you're right about the whole "seeming slow" thing. Working tech support, I get customers all the time who say things like "Why is your ISP trying to break into my computer?" (they are getting intrusion attempts from a customer), or "Ever since I got your ISP, it lets spyware get right through my firewall" (heh). And then of course, there's "your internet is so slow", when they have hundreds and hundreds of spyware objects, little RAM, p2p programs, and far more startup programs than they need, etc. I deal with misconceptions about our ISP all the time, and reading that question in MaxPC about the broadband connection seeming slow made me think, "There's a lot I can do to help!" And usually doing some of the things in that list *does* speed up the computer and make the internet seem faster and webpages load quicker. When MaxPC said there's not much that can be done, I said, "ACK! Now someone will read that and not be helped by calling in - they'll assume they need to switch ISPs" - which is why I responded like I did.

All OS and hardware issues/tweaks aside, if your broadband connection actually is slow, and there are no signal (in the case of cable)/packet loss/latency issues, then MaxPC is right - little can be done.

Thanks again for the civil discussion.