Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer will not turn on
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm 

I'm writing this about a problem that I have been having for a while with only moderate success in fixing. My computer will not turn on. After hitting the power button, fans will turn on, the hard drive will spin up, but the monitor will remain in standby mode. It started with me trying to update my memory from 4GB to 16GB. It was causing POST problems, but I thought that was due to a difference in memory speeds, which I rectified in the BIOS. It was still having occasional booting issues, but for the most part it would fire up. However, every time is went into sleep mode, it wouldn't come back on and need to be rebooted. However, today it refused to turn on at all. I tried removing the memory and replacing it with the old DIMMs, but nothing happened. Unfortunately, I removed all memory from the system and it didn't register any codes.

In the past, when having this issue, I fixed it by simply pulling the CMOS battery and letting it reset. The battery I currently have is only a couple months old. However, this time it does nothing. When posting about this in past, people have suggested the it may be a problem with either the PSU or the motherboard. Does that sound accurate to anyone?

Intel i7 960 processor
Intel DX58SO motherboard
4GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition

Post subject: Re: Computer will not turn on
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

PSU. What brand is it and what is it's power output rating?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

One other odd thing I see here is this board is a triple-channel memory board, but the amount of memory you're putting into the board doesn't fit into 3 slots (either 2 or 4).

Also just to make sure, you put the old memory back in and the computer wouldn't turn on?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 am 

The PSU is an Antec 520W.

As far as the memory, I was under the impression that, while triple channel was the ideal way to go, it would run fine with just two sticks. Like I said, I am upgrading it from 4 GB, which was also two sticks. And it responds exactly the same to the new memory, the old memory, and no memory at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Go ahead and test that Antec with a paperclip. How you ask? Youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If it doesn't turn on just flat out, we can say it's the PSU. If the computer looks like it turns on, but nothing comes up, it still could be the PSU, but there's no definitive way to tell. I also had the issue with the PC goes to sleep and won't wake up and it was memory, but considering the problem happens on both new and old, that doesn't seem very likely either.

Just one more test to try out if the computer appears to turn on, can you boot the system with one of the DIMMs in the black slot?

EDIT: I didn't RTFM for the board, but there might be a requirement for what slots have to be populated. However, the end goal is I want to rule memory being the problem as much as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you try using a paperclip trick kleinkinstein suggested and short the green wire to any black wire? That will tell you if the psu is dead or not, if it starts the psu may be ok but may not be putting out the specified voltages, 3 volts 5 volts and 12 volts.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:20 pm 

I'm currently at work , so I haven't tried the paperclip trick, but I'm not exactly sure what it will tell me. In its current state, the PSU, CPU, and case fans all fire up, so I know the PSU is providing some power. Would the paper clip test give me any additional info?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:31 pm 

I'm currently at work , so I haven't tried the paperclip trick, but I'm not exactly sure what it will tell me. In its current state, the PSU, CPU, and case fans all fire up, so I know the PSU is providing some power. Would the paper clip test give me any additional info?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Pablo-man wrote:

No. It's just to see if the PSU will turn on or not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you listened close to see if windows is booting up in the background? If it is, the monitor or video card may be the issue at hand.

Is there a beep code when you start the machine?

Are you sure that the hard drive data cable and power cable are plugged all the way in?

Make sure the CPU 12 volt power plug in the motherboard is all the way in....no power here no boot.

Nasty