Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: First Build / Photo and HD Video Editing?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:51 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

-Lots of people have wireless networks today. Instead of taking an expansion slot for a wifi card, it's just built-in.
-Generally the first number is the series and the following is the model/sub series:
nVidia -> (6)60 < 670 < 680 AMD -> (7)750 < 7770 < 7850
-Two gigs should be plenty of dual-monitors. Of course that does depend on the resolution.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't like Wi-Fi in the case because the metal in the case represents a large "block" that's in the way. I prefer a USB adapter with an extension cable or a wireless adapter bridge (basically ethernet to wireless receiver).

As for video memory, it's basically "don't worry about it". The minimum you need for 2560x1600x32 (the maximum resolution available for a monitor) is 15.625MB. Double buffered and across two monitors is still about 60MB.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 pm 

Some say you can render new videos using your GPU, and that it is faster than using your processor. If this is the case, be sure to seek out software that allows you to use either your processor or your GPU. I thought I saw one of the latest versions of Vegas Pro 10/11 that fits this description.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

LatiosXT wrote:
I don't like Wi-Fi in the case because the metal in the case represents a large "block" that's in the way.

The antennas themselves are external.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Airheadq wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:
I don't like Wi-Fi in the case because the metal in the case represents a large "block" that's in the way.

The antennas themselves are external.

Except they're pretty much right up on the case. If there's case between the antenna and the router, it's still a potential block.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Most all my builds have wifi on board or a card. No one wants real LAN anymore. And I've (they've) never had a problem with it. If we talking "in case" then laptops without antennas would be horrendous. I suppose the "potential" for a barrier is there but then again Win8 has the "potential" to be great and accepted. @ LXT - IMOK, let's not go there.

Inquisitor wrote:
Corsair does make big boy cables for the HX750 if you’re willing to pay $40 extra for them. :(
http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply- ... ories.html

If you do opt to go the big boy route, get them here. Seems like every other week the entire set (any color) is on sale for $30. Which at that price, is just silly to sleeve yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

kleinkinstein wrote:
Most all my builds have wifi on board or a card. No one wants real LAN anymore. And I've (they've) never had a problem with it. If we talking "in case" then laptops without antennas would be horrendous. I suppose the "potential" for a barrier is there but then again Win8 has the "potential" to be great and accepted. @ LXT - IMOK, let's not go there.

Except my belief is backed by actual science, you're just being a pathetic troll who's butthurt over someone liking an OS you passionately hate.

Want examples?
  • ASUS Transformer Prime vs. Infinity. Both share the same chassis except the Infinity has plastic "window" on about a centimeter long running the width in the back. Why? The antennas weren't getting a good signal with a completely metal chassis, which reviewers noted a massive improvement on the Infinity.
  • Zune HD has a plastic covering on the bottom half for what appears to be no good reason. It's because the antennas for wi-fi reside there.
  • The antennas of wireless adapters on laptops (wi-fi and bluetooth) reside in the display, because this is the least noisy area and in all-metal chassis laptops, the only place with a "hole".
  • The antennas on the PlayStation 3 run outside the metal shielding around the actual motherboard, but still underneath the plastic housing of the case.
  • The products we make at work mount on weapon systems. The chassis are made out of metal because well, they have to be durable. Except they have windows for anything that requires an antenna.
  • There's also those mods to wireless routers that call for attaching the antennas with aluminum foil in a parabolic shape to get better reception. This implies the aluminum is reflecting the radio waves (hopefully into the antenna)

Anyway, I leave it up to OP want he wants to do, I'm just sharing my preference and why.

What I'm implying with what I'm suggesting is expansion slot wi-fi cards are a waste of money. I'm just suggesting they don't get as good as reception as a completely external receiver solution.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I asked not to go their. But for a quick sore re'butt'al...Actual science! Wow! You're definition is way too loose my friend. And please, no more wifience. Take up your inconspicuous theories with Netgear, Dlink, Lynksys, Buffalo and Trendnet. K?

Let's get back to advising this chap, not test driving Area 51'offs
!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:51 am 

Thanks for all the info about Wi-Fi and GPUs. I never knew Wi-Fi was sooo controversial. :wink:

The more I research Mother Boards the more I think modular boards would be a good idea. That way you could pick and choose which features you want and don’t want and then build it yourself.

I guess custom boards would work but they would have to be made in the USA so it doesn’t take 6 months to get it from Communist China.

What do you guys think? Would you be willing to pay a little extra for a custom or modular Mother Board? If it was less the $50 more I would!!