It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HDD recognition at BIOS level for ASUS Maximus V Formula
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am 

Greetings all:

I just finished building my rig which includes the following;

MOBO: ASUS Maximus V Formula/Thunder FX
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 2 X Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB
MEM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1000W
CASE: Thermaltake Level 10 GT

PROBLEM: The system is water cooled (using Corsair o100 for CPU and Thermaltake Big Water 760+ for MOBO), and once hooking everything up it posted on the first try. Upon going into BIOS I did notice the Seagate HDDs weren't listed in the SATA section of the BIOS. Win7 Ultimate installed correctly once I directed BOOT sequence to the SSD but no-show for both 2TB HDDs in either BIOS or Win...I remember this happened to me once in my last build aprox 3 years ago and can't recall how I fixed it...any ideas?

*I have not re-seated SATA connections to the other SATA ports, which are divided into Intel Z77 for SATA 6.0GB ports 1 & 2 and Asmedia SATA 6.0GB SATA ports 1 through 4. The HDDs are connected one to the Intel Z77 SATA port and the other one to the Asmedia SATA port.

**I have already installed all factory included drivers; MOBO, Video Card, BD Player, etc...but the system is still not connected to the Internet. Everything seemed to have installed correctly.

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Last edited by Wolfgang on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: HDD recognition at BIOS level for ASUS Maximus V Formula
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

We could try the fun obvious solutions:

• Reset BIOS to factory default, either by taking out the CMOS battery or through BIOS itself
  • Make sure the SATA ports are configured to look for drives
  • Change the ports the drives are in
  • Change the cables
  • Hook up the drives in another computer or use a USB<->SATA dongle
  • Make sure if there are jumper settings, that it's configured correctly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 am 

LatiosXT wrote:

• Reset BIOS to factory default, either by taking out the CMOS battery or through BIOS itself
  • Change the cables

Thanks for the quick reply LatiosXT:

In the BIOS there is an option under Advanced Setup, SATA configuration for SATA inputs to set as Hot Plug but all are disabled (although I don't think this has anything to do with this). Strangely enough, I just restarted the PC and entered the BIOS again and voila; one of the HDDs appeared! Still not the other one. I made some other changes to the BIOS, specifically the CPU overclocking, but again I don't think this has anything to do with my problem. Will go on to boot into Win to check if the one HDD that just popped up in BIOS is present in Win.

I will follow your advice and change ports, change cables and check on another computer as last resort.

Any other comments/ideas welcomed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 am 

Wolfgang wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:

• Change the cables

Thanks for the quick reply LatiosXT:

In the BIOS there is an option under Advanced Setup, SATA configuration for SATA inputs to set as Hot Plug but all are disabled (although I don't think this has anything to do with this). Strangely enough, I just restarted the PC and entered the BIOS again and voila; one of the HDDs appeared! Still not the other one. I made some other changes to the BIOS, specifically the CPU overclocking, but again I don't think this has anything to do with my problem. Will go on to boot into Win to check if the one HDD that just popped up in BIOS is present in Win.

I will follow your advice and change ports, change cables and check on another computer as last resort.

Any other comments/ideas welcomed!

UPDATE:

OK, so one of the HDDs is showing up on BIOS but not on Win...I will check on any comments later on and get to work on suggestions but more are welcomed...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I will still urge you to reset BIOS to factory default, just so we're on a level playing field :P

Regarding the hard drive MIA, open up Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Computer Management → Storage → Disk Management. Check to see if the hard drive is listed there, as it's probably not formatted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:58 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
I will still urge you to reset BIOS to factory default, just so we're on a level playing field :P

Regarding the hard drive MIA, open up Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Computer Management → Storage → Disk Management. Check to see if the hard drive is listed there, as it's probably not formatted.

UPDATE:

LatiosXT; So far, problem solved...and didn't have to do much...I think your last comment about going to Admin Tools triggered my memory from my last build before this one...went in there and initialized disks (found both there), set as basic volumes, quick formatted, assigned letter and volume name and that was it...they now both appear under Windows "My Computer" with assigned letters and all.

Thank you very much for your help and advice!

Att.,

Wolfgang