Which SSD Brand? (Only good 1's I know)
Poll ended at Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm
Agility 3 or 4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vertex 3 or 4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Samsung 830 or 840 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Slight upgrade for Laptop Server
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 pm 

I just setup an old laptop with some really crap single core Celeron. A 5 person Minecraft server was the only use I could find for this thing. I have a similar laptop laying around, but its butchered physically by the tech guy I got it off of, he wasn't very understanding bout taking screws out BEFORE you pry shit off. The other laptop is a dualcore Pentium though, I was wondering, is there anyway I could find just an empty laptop shell, and put the motherboard into it? I plan on running it headless, using a SFTP server, and Putty for remote control. Therefore the cracked screen means nothing. Also, what would be a good SSD to run in it? It has to be at least 120GB, the old hard drive is only 80GB, and I want both a speed and capicity upgrade.

Mutilated shell is an HP Probook, at least 3 years, no markings left, like I said, major damage. If a shell is not available, would it harm the motherboard to just leave the motherboard sitting on a wooden desk? (With needed cooling of course.)

Short Version Questions:
1. Can I find a replacement shell of some kind to hold the motherboard from an old HP Probook?
2. What would be a good SSD for under $150 and at least 120GB?
3. Would it harm the the parts to run it with no shell, if #1 turns out to be impossible?

Post subject: Re: Slight upgrade for Laptop Server
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Alex.W wrote:
1. Can I find a replacement shell of some kind to hold the motherboard from an old HP Probook?

On eBay, if you're lucky. It might be better to do something DIY.

Quote:
2. What would be a good SSD for under $150 and at least 120GB?

Check to even make sure the SATA interface is good enough for an SSD. If it's SATA I, you're not going to get much out of an SSD. SATA II, don't spend too much money.

Quote:
3. Would it harm the the parts to run it with no shell, if #1 turns out to be impossible?

Not really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:51 am 

Ebay? I will have a look. If not, I may do something very hackish looking. I was thinking a piece of wood with long nails but into it, in just the right spots. Then place rubber washer at the base and coat the nails in plastic. If so, I might post pics.

Edit: I am pretty sure its Sata II. Its not super old, like 2.5 years. Only reason I can tell is that I pulled up some pics of HP Probooks, and when 1 matched mine, I found the date for the 1 in the pic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:27 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Act quick, the 256 Agility 4 is $130 @ TD. You won't find a nand flash deal any better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 am 

Perfect. Wait?! Thats the 256GB model!!! Holy crap, buying now! My desktop rocks the Agility 3 120GB, that cost me $110. Totally putting Agility 4 in desktop, and old model in laptop, thanks so much kleinkinstein.