Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Open Challenge: Race to top 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

It's been a long while since we've had a good "in-team" race around here (Chimp Challenge doesn't count, as that's a multi-team race), and with the cool weather, everyone should be able to bring their "A-Game". So, I though I would issue a challenge to my fellow team-mates.

The challenge is relatively simple: Beat me to the top 100

Or at least it seems simple ;)

Who's invited? Everyone except for those already in the top 100, as well as LokanOfTheBlueTower and MichaelWhitney since there's no possible way I can beat either of you two into the top 100 without building a -bigadv rig, which is entirely out of my financial capabilities right now.

There are no rules. However, I do not want anyone throwing points my way to advance me in this challenge, I prefer to race under my own power. It would be nice if the others were to fold under their own power as well, but if you recruit help then so-be-it.

What's in it for me? Nothing other than seeing the points fly, & if I win, I don't expect anything from anyone.

What's in it for you? Negotiable... but I'm thinking 250,000 points folded for the user-name of your choice to the first folder who beats me to top 100, & 100,000 points for the 2nd folder who beats me to top 100.

Start Date: once this post is made - I'm at work so no I haven't made any changes to my folders... YET :mrgreen:
Cut-off date: the day I hit #100.

I'll PM those that I can when I get home tonight, or just reply with your intent to race and/or suggestions.

Good luck to those who choose to accept my challenge :!:

Post subject: Re: Open Challenge: Race to top 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

You could also race yourself. guess a decent PPD average and see if you could beat that to get yourself there. I'm already well into the top 100, so I can't race, but if you want to do something else to race, I'd possibly be game.

I've got three aging GPUs and two aging CPUs, but I'm always looking to upgrade something if I can get away with it. A major hardware change is out of the question for me (read as new CPU, mobo, etc.), but swapping or adding a new GPU may be doable, though if I could find decent buyers, I'd sell both my rigs and get into a 4P rig.

Wishing and hoping :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:43 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm still folding on limited machines to save some $$, but I just managed to claw back to the top 100 after getting bumped off during a complete shutdown. Looks like you're set to leapfrog me in about 2 months though. Best of luck to you and any others who take you up on it! 8)

Gero1369 wrote:
I'd sell both my rigs and get into a 4P rig.

Wishing and hoping :lol:
Me too!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I'll fire up my rig and give you a run twards 100...at least for a little while anyways. Gotta see what the latest build is capable of since i added a new card.

And i've been meaning to get my points past that 10 million mark...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 am 

When I got home its on! I have no hope of winning, I am somewhere in the 1000 - 2000 place range, I once cracked the top 1000, but it got expensive and hot. Canadian winter is on my side though, I can overclock through the roof. Not to mention I got a new case and CPU cooler, and CPU since then. Current ETA till launch = 6 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Damn... I forgot about Kingfish... this is going to be harder than I anticipated...

@ Alex.W - Canadian winter is a good time to dust off that ole space heater & crank it up ;)

@ mk96 - It's always fun to see what new hardware can do.

@ Gero1369 - I think a lot of us are wishing along those 4P lines ;) Just trying to bring some life & excitement back into the team, harder to do if you're racing yourself :lol: Long time folders might remember my last challenge 2 years ago, in which I challenged teammates to keep me from reaching the top 20 daily points production list. A challenge which IMO was a success despite my own hardware problems as the challenge ran into December of that year.

BTW... if anyone's wondering, yes, I do have unused hardware yet to be turned on :mrgreen:

Come for the fun of it, come for the points boost, come for the advancement of disease research, whatever your reasons or motivations for joining my challenge are, you're all are welcome to join in, & thanks to those who have already stepped up!!!

Those excluded from the challenge itself (top 102 folders) can still participate in a way... by making it harder for me to get into the top 100 through increasing your production & thus keeping yourselves in the top 100, because for me to get there, someone else has to be dropped out of the top 100 :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

chaosdsm wrote:
Damn... I forgot about Kingfish... this is going to be harder than I anticipated...

@ Alex.W - Canadian winter is a good time to dust off that ole space heater & crank it up ;)

@ mk96 - It's always fun to see what new hardware can do.

@ Gero1369 - I think a lot of us are wishing along those 4P lines ;) Just trying to bring some life & excitement back into the team, harder to do if you're racing yourself :lol: Long time folders might remember my last challenge 2 years ago, in which I challenged teammates to keep me from reaching the top 20 daily points production list. A challenge which IMO was a success despite my own hardware problems as the challenge ran into December of that year.

BTW... if anyone's wondering, yes, I do have unused hardware yet to be turned on :mrgreen:

Come for the fun of it, come for the points boost, come for the advancement of disease research, whatever your reasons or motivations for joining my challenge are, you're all are welcome to join in, & thanks to those who have already stepped up!!!

Those excluded from the challenge itself (top 102 folders) can still participate in a way... by making it harder for me to get into the top 100 through increasing your production & thus keeping yourselves in the top 100, because for me to get there, someone else has to be dropped out of the top 100 :P

Ok Chaosdsm if you can excluded some from the challenge only to hold you away from your goal...then I am sure you would be willing to give a "handicap" to the ones behind you?

Anyway I am in....

But need some help. I have two 470 folding if I wanted to replace them what would you recommend? Lets say $600.00 to spend , currently have a 850W Power supply? and i5 CPU.

E

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 pm 

Fudge. I remembered my promise to fold right before I went to sleep. I got up, started downloading FAH, and due to crap internet, it will take 30 mins to download it. I am not staying up for 30 mins more though, so a whole night of folding was just lost, which is best time, cause it gets nice and cold in my computer room at those times. In the morning I shall not be stopped.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm 

Wait, internet is speeding up. I can fold tonight after all, joy to the world! Side note, I just noticed I would need a years worth of folding to get in the top 100, assuming none of you fold anymore for that time frame. So my new target is top 500.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

EasyE wrote:
Ok Chaosdsm if you can excluded some from the challenge only to hold you away from your goal...then I am sure you would be willing to give a "handicap" to the ones behind you?

Well, I kind of already am... & unfortunatley, it works both ways, I'm handicaping myself in the bad way. I have hardware that will be needed to keep certain folders like foofighter06 from overtaking me before I reach top 100 & to be keep others like kingfish who are already ahead of me from getting there before I do. That hardware probably won't be running until later this weekend, so I'm already negatively handicapped, which gives everyone else an early positive handicap, at least until I can bring that hardware to life :!: :!: :!:

But what did you have in mind?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 pm 

Well I'm inclined to take you up on your challenge. I have 4 AMD 6128's that i purchased off of eBay two weeks ago. Didn't plan on buying the rest of the parts for a couple of months though. I was looking at memory prices today, may order that tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

I just got some old laptops from family. Both are dual cores which will be folding for me in the morning. That should net me a another few thousand ppd. Good luck everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

chaosdsm wrote:
EasyE wrote:

Well, I kind of already am... & unfortunatley, it works both ways, I'm handicaping myself in the bad way. I have hardware that will be needed to keep certain folders like foofighter06 from overtaking me before I reach top 100 & to be keep others like kingfish who are already ahead of me from getting there before I do. That hardware probably won't be running until later this weekend, so I'm already negatively handicapped, which gives everyone else an early positive handicap, at least until I can bring that hardware to life :!: :!: :!:

But what did you have in mind?

Not that it will matter much unless I can find some more computers to fold on. You had better get that other hardware up if you want to keep foofighter06 from passing you. Also to pass kingfish right now you are 4+ months away.

E

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Since I'm already scheduled to beat your ass to 100, can you just front me my quarter mil? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:51 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

KingFish wrote:
Since I'm already scheduled to beat your ass to 100, can you just front me my quarter mil? Thanks!

Scheduled doesn't mean a thing, you're "scheduled" to be there in 21 days, but it might be 15 days or 30 days when you actually get there, I may be there in 45 days, or 10 days ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

nice smack talking in this thread! keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I just bumped Rose from 99 to 100 today :( Looks like LokanOfTheBlueTower will be the one to knock her name out of top 100 though.

You guys in my threats list are much scarier (and more entertaining!) than the 5 ahead of me who aren't folding right now though.

I'm not even sure I could keep you two at bay if I spooled up my idle folders anyway though (and no chance of stopping foo, unless I got something that could do bigadv).

I need new GPUs! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 am 

chaosdsm wrote:
KingFish wrote:

Scheduled doesn't mean a thing, you're "scheduled" to be there in 21 days, but it might be 15 days or 30 days when you actually get there, I may be there in 45 days, or 10 days ;)

If I beat you in 15 or 30 days, I'll still take the points up front. Why make this hard on yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

KingFish wrote:
chaosdsm wrote:
KingFish wrote:

If I beat you in 15 or 30 days, I'll still take the points up front. Why make this hard on yourself?

Damnit... I know it must have been you... scared I'll blow past ya, so ya hexed me...

So a friend calls me up Saturday, I take off, end up staying through Sunday night. Get home & my main rig has shut down. Based on the logs, it looks like it shut down about 2 hours after I left. Both microwaves show "Reset" which indicates the house power went out for a short while, & my last remaining UPS didn't last long enough or didn't work. So I hit the power button & things don't sound right. Get into Windows, folding starts up, temps almost instantly hit 93C, CPU throttles back & settles in at 2.8Ghz, & CPU is still hitting 82C. Looks like the pump in the H100 went out. Just ordered the LGA-2011 kit for my Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme until I can get the H100 replaced.

Oh wait, it gets better... so I'm in up close looking at things, when I notice what sounds a fan spinning up & slowing down repeatedly. Upon closer inspection, I find that one of the fans on my GTX-460 is doing just that. So I can't just swap the GPU to a different computer, so until the 2011 kit arrives, & I until I can replace the fans on the 460, I'm out 40,000 - 60,000ppd...

Minor setback...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 pm 

Can your crap even fold my quarter mil you owe me? WTF