Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SATAIII PCI Adapter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have my SATA III SSD plugged into my SATA II MOBO along with all the other drives. I have a few SATA III PCI Adapters that, if I plug one in it will give me two SATA III ports.

When I installed Win 7 IDE was set in BIOS. After installing the PCI Adapter, should I be able to shut off the PC, unplug the SSD from the mobo and plug it into the SATA III PCI Adapter??? Will it be recognized and booted to? Any problems?

Post subject: Re: SATAIII PCI Adapter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

PCI port I've used before to plug in my Asmedia SATA PCI adapter is being used by my new USB 3.0 PCI Adapter so I pluggged into the PCI port below it and now my system does not recognize the Asmedia card. Any reason why?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So I guess my new question is why do my PCI adapters work when plugged into my 5th PCI slot but does NOT work when plugged into the 6th PCI slot??

Currently I am transferring files from my pc to my external hard drive I am using as backup. My entire system is SATA II which is why I had to plug in a USB 3.0 PCI adapter to make the transfer go by quicker.

Once finished, I can unplug the USB adapter and plug in a SATA III adapter because my one drive, my SSD C drive is a SATA III drive which, while fast, could be much faster plugged into a SATA III port. I was just hoping to have both adapter working at the same time, the USB 3.0 and the SATA III PCI adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

• You shouldn't have any issues booting from the SSD.
  • Your PCI slots are on shared bandwidth which would explain it not working in the 6th PCI slot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yeah....I ended up booting from the asmedia pci sata III adapter but it cost me an extra 30 seconds on boot up for bios to recognize the adapter and load drivers and during speedtest.net, I actually went from 21MB/s to 18MB/s so it wasn't even worth it.

Why would they build two PCI slots when you can only use one at a time?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Because you don't know anything about PCI.

PCI is a shared bus architecture and it's top speed of a whopping 266MB/s is shared between all slots. The SSD is going to happily suck all of that bandwidth to the point where the other card isn't going to get a chance to run (depending on how IRQs and stuff are set up).