Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home media server
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:59 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

So quick background. 5 people in our house, 6 big tvs, multiple xbox/PS3s. We rarely watch live TV and instead I download episodes. I have 7 HDs in my computer 4 of which are full of all our DVD/BR rips and all our TV shows. We have a WD Live box in the living room which we use to stream off my computer or to play stuff off a USB drive. Im aiming to improve our system and im thinking of building a server box/rack for our house that can handle streaming everything or just share it so it can be accessed by everyones computers. Ive always wanted a little server rack in the basement with one of those blades that has multiple hot swappable HD slots so i can expand it as i go, tho a regular box seems mroe likely. Im thinking a regular box with a x58/x79 mobo with a low level CPU, RAID card running windows home server. But im not sure what hardware would be best, looking for any advice :)

Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Home media server
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:02 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I'm not sure how an x79 chipset translates to low-end. I would go with an AMD APU/or a Ivy Bridge processor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:07 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Airheadq wrote:
I'm not sure how an x79 chipset translates to low-end. I would go with an AMD APU/or a Ivy Bridge processor.

Well I'm not any good at low end :p I dont know what makes for a good media server. I just automatically go for a newer chipset

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

H68 + i3 Ivy = Done!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
H68 + i3 Ivy = Done!

any specific H68 mobos you know of? I was thinking of slapping a RAID card or two, or maybe just multiple SATA 3 cards in to connect multiple HDs....does RAID offer enough of a boost on a media rig that its worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

RAID for a media server isn't worth it because media has lax bandwidth requirements as 1. You can buffer and 2. It doesn't require a lot of bandwidth anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

LatiosXT wrote:
RAID for a media server isn't worth it because media has lax bandwidth requirements as 1. You can buffer and 2. It doesn't require a lot of bandwidth anyway.

ok sweet. So just a couple SATA port cards so i can get multiple HDs hooked up. Thinking of a mount like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811165407 And just run windows home server and remote control it to adjust settings as needed. Do media servers need large amounts of RAM? (ive literally never made oen or looked too much into the requirements...)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Are you serving a home for a family or an apartment complex? :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

LatiosXT wrote:
Are you serving a home for a family or an apartment complex? :P

haha well for me and my roomates. All of which constantly ask me to toss stuff on jump drives from my computer for them to watch on their own machines or TVs. Figure i might as well go all in, make a huge repository for all our media, as well as prob set up some backups on it to mirror my various rigs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Well, in that case, I think you should make a smaller server with say 3 3TB drives in RAID 5 (not for performance, for reliability) with a 64GB SSD for the OS.

You should probably do another box for yourself, because you don't want people having access to your files :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Im sorta a fan of trying to do a rack setup, as then i can expand it as needed (plus it looks cool lol). I have 2x 1TB caviar blacks in my current rig that are full of our stuff i can move to the server, then toss in a couple new high capacity drives. The storage isnt what trips me up so much as the mobo/cpu/ram setups. Ive only ever made gaming rigs, not sure what makes for good media server :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

For file serving at the home though, you can get away with an entry level computer. Hell, my friend made a NAS box for his house's media server using a dual core Atom running Linux.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

LatiosXT wrote:
For file serving at the home though, you can get away with an entry level computer. Hell, my friend made a NAS box for his house's media server using a dual core Atom running Linux.

Ive looked at NAS boxes but it always seems that their price/space ratio sucks. usually only 2 HDs, any more and it gets crazy pricy. If i make a rack machine i can add a ton more drives which is great for us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I like the linux idea, coupled with VLC and either XBMC or Plex you and your homies will be golden! BTW, this is the shoebox case you want....with 7 bays, 5 of which are hot-swappable. It's killer!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I also don't like the whole "But I can add more down the road!" mentality. Do you really think your need for data storage is going to climb at such a rate that you'll need that many hard drives? Or is it going to grow at such a rate that your older hard drives are approaching the "I'm just about done" by the time you add a few more?

For example on my end, I just bought a 3TB drive to succeed my 1.5TB for my backup drive. The 1.5TB drive is almost four years old.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
I like the linux idea, coupled with VLC and either XBMC or Plex you and your homies will be golden! BTW, this is the shoebox case you want....with 7 bays, 5 of which are hot-swappable. It's killer!

Ive never used Linux, how easy is it to do all that? My plan was Windows Home Server but im flexible if its as good or better functionality

LatiosXT wrote:
I also don't like the whole "But I can add more down the road!" mentality. Do you really think your need for data storage is going to climb at such a rate that you'll need that many hard drives? Or is it going to grow at such a rate that your older hard drives are approaching the "I'm just about done" by the time you add a few more?

For example on my end, I just bought a 3TB drive to succeed my 1.5TB for my backup drive. The 1.5TB drive is almost four years old.

Well That is more or less what ive been doing for the past couple years, whenever i need more space i just grab another 1 or 2 TB drive and add it. I havent really replaced a HD in years, ive just been adding on

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:19 pm 

Linux has a small learning curve, but once you wrap your head around basic commands, and the file structure, it only gets easier, and much more useful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

is there a particular linux build that is better for a media server machine?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

PCLinux if you want a separate OS. Otherwise, just roll with XBMC or Plex since they have a distro baked in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
PCLinux if you want a separate OS. Otherwise, just roll with XBMC or Plex since they have a distro baked in.

What do you mean by separate OS? Im planning to just have this rack sitting in the basement, running via remote access (log me in or something along those lines)