Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: When will we reach $0.50/GB for SSD?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

On p95 of the Holiday 2012 issue, MPC had the following vague comment: "In 2013, though, 256GB will reach the $0.50-per-gigabyte level, and become the baseline in all of our builds." (referring to MPCs The Builds section).

I had originally thought we would see some black Friday deals (with rebates, of course) that would finally break the 50 cent barrier. We were close - I think we got to about 56 cents ($130 for a 240GB +S/H), but not quite yet there. Now, OCZ has announced they plan on getting out of the low-end market (I'm reading this as referring to the Agility & Octane series).

Since their announced departure, I've noticed the costs heading back up, with most sales hovering around $170 for 256 (66 cents per GB). Obviously, OCZ's departure has pushed that milestone back.

While I agree with the sentiment that SSDs will eventually reach 50 cents per GB (and then 33 cents per GB, etc.), I'm wondering if anyone has a closer estimate than all of next year. So, I'm asking the readers: when do you think it will happen? March, or perhaps July? Or will it even happen in 2013?

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: When will we reach $0.50/GB for SSD?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

TLC nand will push prices down, when is anyone's guess. But it will start to happen Q1 2013. So $0.50/GB will be pervasive for "common" ssd's this time next year. Ultra high performance MLC nand (ie, 840 Pro, Neutron, Vector) will actually creep up, stabilize and hover around $1/GB.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, it's finally happened! The price of some decent SSDs have finally reached 0.50/GB.
  • Yes, they're usually on sale
  • Yes, they sometimes require a rebate
  • No, they're not refurbished
  • No, I'm not talking about SSDs that are close to $0.50/GB, but actually are $0.50/GB
I have to admit, when I originally posted this thread I thought it would happen in a matter of months, not over a year later. I see this as great news. If past is any predictor of the future, $0.50 is usually where prices begin sliding at an accelerated rate. I hope it continues to be true.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:00 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I have to admit it is RAM, and there are competitors . . . I too thought prices would get stupidly low faster than they have as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only thing I'm worried about is that flash memory is the only thing we have that gets worse with Moore's Law. TLC, MLC, it doesn't matter.

Sure we could reach the nice sweet spot or even lower for regular price, but how long will the SSD last at that point?