Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel X25-M SSD unresponsive after idling/screensaver
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I am having a very strange issue with my PC as of late. I am currently using an X25-M SSDSA2M160G2GC in my system build (http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=30935) and find that my computer becomes unresponsive when the following occurs:

1) If I have the screen saver set to turn on after a set period of time, the PC becomes unresponsive when I try to resume work. I can click icons and move the mouse around, but no windows will open. In order to get back to work, I have to perform a hard reset on the system.

2) If I have the monitor set to turn off after a set period of time, the PC becomes unresponsive ´╗┐when I try to resume work. I can click icons and move the mouse around, but again, no windows will open (a hard reset is needed).

3) If both the screen saver and monitor power off options are disabled, and the computer sits idling for a length of time, the PC is unresponsive when I try to resume work, even though I can click on icons and move the mouse around. Again, a hard reset is needed.

I have tried all sorts of things to fix this, such as making sure my BIOS is up to date, the firmware on the SSD is current, and any power options that would put the PC (or its components) to sleep, hibernate, or idle itself down to save power have been disabled but to no avail. I have also verified that ACHI mode is enabled for all devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Intel X25-M SSD unresponsive after idling/screensaver
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That's the early gen Sandforce controller isn't it. They fixed a lot of buggy issues and Trim but never has yet fessed up to all the glitch reports like yours. All your sleep, timeout and wake issues are classic. Is the firmware updated to 1.93, just released last week? Use the Intel firmware updater and you might be able to bypass BIOS, find the drive and make it functional.
http://downloadcenter.Intel.com/Detail_ ... ldID=18363

Last edited by kleinkinstein on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Intel started using SandForce (and with their own version of its firmware) in the last release of SSDs they did. The X-25 is using another controller.

See if you can run this tool: http://downloadcenter.Intel.com/Detail_ ... ldID=18455 , it's Intel's official SSD diagnostic tool. It might tell you a few things that are out of place and if you need to replace it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Thanks for the help! I'll give those tricks a try and see what happens!

One thing I am trying to remember is if I installed the Intel Rapid Start Technology (RST) driver when I first built this system. Would not having it installed create the problems I am experiencing right now?

Also, I do not think I installed Intel's Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) driver either. Would installing this solve the problems I'm having as well? I'm not running RAID so I didn't think I needed this, but at this point I'm willing to give anything a try.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

RST/Matrix shouldn't be necessary. It wouldn't hurt to install it, but I'd run the diagnostic tool first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:26 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
RST/Matrix shouldn't be necessary. It wouldn't hurt to install it, but I'd run the diagnostic tool first.

Rgr that, will do!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I ran the Intel SSD Toolbox diagnostic tool, and the results came back fine, nothing is wrong with the SSD. I also updated the RST driver, but I am experiencing the same issues as I had before.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If possible, create a Windows 7 Recovery Environment on a USB thumb disk (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20 ... html?ltr=S ) and run chkdsk from the command prompt option on the SSD. Alternatively, you can do this from a Windows 7 install disk. You may also do this from the "Repair this computer" option in the boot menu (press F8 while booting).

Anyway, goal is:
  • Once in the recovery environment, select Command Prompt
  • Determine the SSD's drive letter (it usually isn't C:\)
  • Type in "chkdsk -f [SSD drive letter]". If the SSD is drive E, then the command would be "chkdsk -f E:\"

If errors start to accumulate up the wazoo, your SSD is hosed.