Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Playing PC games with a gamepad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 am 

I'd like to start playing some of my PC games on my tv, so I can kick back on the couch and relax. I'd mostly only do this with games that work with a gamepad. However, aren't a lot of these games balanced for use with a mouse and keyboard? For instance, if I purchase the PC version of Crysis 3, isn't that game balanced for mouse and keyboard, which is a much faster and more precise input device than a gamepad, and hence more difficult? If that's the case, playing a PC game with a gamepad would be a serious handicap. I'm asking mostly about single player.

Post subject: Re: Playing PC games with a gamepad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
here are some, scroll down for user input on games they have played with a gamepad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm 

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
here are some, scroll down for user input on games they have played with a gamepad.

Huh?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you find a game that doesn't have explicit game pad support, use Joy2Key.

Also it's not because games offer better support for keyboard and mice or game pads, it's because the thumbsticks on game pads are inherently more clumsy to use than a mouse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm 

Let me reword this. I can either buy Crysis for my 360, or my PC. Benefits of PC are: better graphics, and I can either play it at my desk with keyboard and mouse, or I can run it to my tv and play with a controller. My question is this:

If the PC version of the game is balanced to be more difficult, because of the better precision of keyboard/mouse, then would I be handicapping myself by trying to play the PC version with a gamepad? If I really would rather play on my couch, then maybe the 360 version would be better.

Ultimately I'm trying to find out if it's common for shooters to be balanced differently for PC and console, as this is common with other genres. For instance, Dragon Age: Origins, is significantly more difficult on PC than console.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If there is any balancing, it's probably some auto-snapping and tracking when you aim down sights on the console version.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:18 pm 

I guess I should be asking this on forums for specific games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Sure, but also note that there were different design ideas in regards to Dragon Age. It's like how Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter was handled. However, I seriously doubt that Crysis 3 is going to be developed with two distinct styles. Call of Duty only has the snap-down with basic aimbot for game pads. And most other FPS games that are on both PC and consoles pretty play the same in its fundamental design.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm 

So, FPS on consoles do have some minor tweaks to make the game easier to play with a gamepad. Now, are those features generally present in the PC version of the game, and they activate when you plug in a gamepad, or are they just not present in PC versions? If I play Crysis 3 for PC with a gamepad, might it have snap and aimbot?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Do you really need that? I've played a few console FPS games (Resistance, KillZone 2... probably another one around), that don't have snap-to and aimbot. They're not that hard without it. Also think about it, Crysis hasn't really been about wide open spaces lately. Crysis 3 looks like it'll take place in the same literal urban jungle, where the precision of a thumb pad is plenty. And the fact that sniper rifles don't have snap-to or aimbot, and people play just fine.

I seriously think you should just get the console version since you're dead set on playing it like a console. I may sound like a snob, but if you're gaming on a PC, then game like you were on a PC.

To say nothing about Steam Big Screen. It's a novel feature at best. Valve trying to copy Metro at worst.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm 

Playing console FPS games without snap isn't the same. You just named two PS3 exclusive games. My worries wouldn't be an issue there, because the game was balanced for console in the first place. They have to make PC games more difficult to account for mouse and keyboard. If I play a game that has been balanced for mouse and keyboard with a gamepad, it's going to be a frustrating experience.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

xenophone wrote:
Playing console FPS games without snap isn't the same. You just named two PS3 exclusive games. My worries wouldn't be an issue there, because the game was balanced for console in the first place. They have to make PC games more difficult to account for mouse and keyboard. If I play a game that has been balanced for mouse and keyboard with a gamepad, it's going to be a frustrating experience.

It will have varying degrees of difficulty to choose from. However, I doubt they will change the AI based on your input method. They will just add snap/aim-assist to gamepad users. Otherwise you can always lower/increase the difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 pm 

xenophone wrote:
Let me reword this. I can either buy Crysis for my 360, or my PC. Benefits of PC are: better graphics, and I can either play it at my desk with keyboard and mouse, or I can run it to my tv and play with a controller. My question is this:

If the PC version of the game is balanced to be more difficult, because of the better precision of keyboard/mouse, then would I be handicapping myself by trying to play the PC version with a gamepad? If I really would rather play on my couch, then maybe the 360 version would be better.

Ultimately I'm trying to find out if it's common for shooters to be balanced differently for PC and console, as this is common with other genres. For instance, Dragon Age: Origins, is significantly more difficult on PC than console.

I use an Xbox 360 wired controller and it works automatically for most games (specifically games that are on 360 and pc) without having to configure it. You can switch between the gamepad and the keyboard w/o going into the settings, they both work at the same time.

If you have a game that isn't compatible with the 360 controller in that way it'll most likely be easy to configure. If it isn't, you can use Joy2Key or Xpadder to map the keys.

Also, the desk vs tv thing doesn't make any sense. Hooking up your tv to your computer is as easy as hooking up the 360 to the tv. Just plug it in. I use a 40" "tv" for my computer regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 am 

Personally - i prefer playing keyboard and mouse. I'm used to it. And I'm much better by using it instead of gamepad.