Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: One Million Here I Come
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 pm 

So... It's been rough cramming all this old infrastructure into one not very well cooled room but I've managed to get 6 machines up and running so far and more to come. Old hardware with a couple nice eggs rolled in. 4 Optiplex 990's, an Optiplex GX650, and a Sager (Clevo W170HR). I'm thinking of playing around with the client on a Dell Poweredge with dual Xeons but I feel this folding stuff relies more on GPU power than processor power. Next in line will be a T7500 with dual xeons and dual SLI nVidia Quaddro 5000's (very enticing). Bottom of my list is an old Dell XPS gaming beast with dual nVidias (can't remember the card model) as it needs alot of work but curious to see how it bumps the numbers as it was a great polygon cruncher in its heyday. Time to put these old beasts to work!

Million here I come!

User Stats:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=625890

If anyone is interested I lost my mother in law to Parkinson's and we host a charity drive for Parkinson's research in Southern California in her honor.
My sister's organization can be found here:
http://pdasd.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=5136

If you are interested you can contact Rachel Peyton (formerly Rachel Holiday) whose contact information is onsite.

Great to be a part of the team!

Post subject: Re: One Million Here I Come
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
welcome to the team, glad that you picked us to fold with. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:14 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Rydh2o wrote:
4 Optiplex 990's, an Optiplex GX650, and a Sager (Clevo W170HR). I'm thinking of playing around with the client on a Dell Poweredge with dual Xeons but I feel this folding stuff relies more on GPU power than processor power.

Depends on the processors & GPU's. Fermi & Kepler GPU's definitely have a bit of an advantage on the GPU side, & Kepler should only get better as the updated GPU client cores roll in with optimizations to take advantage of what Kepler can offer. Still, until GPU WU's all have an early return bonus, CPU's will continue to hold an advantage. On non-bonus GPU units, the best GPU's can only (currently) get up to 20,000 ppd per card. My CPU (i7-3930K 6-core/12-thread) when OC'd to 4.6GHz, has folded for just over 72,000ppd on certain WU's. Multi-socketed systems with at least 16 threads can run -bigadv work units for even higher ppd output. Some 32 & 64 thread 4-processor systems are turning in a single work unit every day or two... for 200,000 - 400,000 points or more :shock: :shock: :shock: But that is on a server system built for 24/7 folding with little to no other use besides folding.

AtlasFolder for example http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=610964 He started out with server racks filled with more than 4 dozen GPU's, & quickly became the #1 folder in the world when you don't count the default names (anonymous & PS3). Since then he's dropped to just two folding clients, one is definitely a -bigadv folder, no idea what the other is (I haven't tried to look up his current folding hardware, if it's even posted anywhere), but with these two clients, he's managed to crank out over 17 million points in October & over 15 million points in November, that's over half a million points per day from just 2 clients with 95% of that total coming from the -bigadv folder which is turning in nearly 400,000 points every 15 or so hours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:46 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Welcome, it's great to have you! Sounds like you're going to continue to have fun tweaking and configuring now that you've been bitten by the folding bug :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:30 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Welcome to the team, Rydh2o!

With your current production, you could be past the million mark this time tomorrow. Way to fold!

The loss of your mother in law to Parkinson's is similar to the reason many fold. People who touched our lives then battled cancer, ALS, Parkinson's, and a whole host of other nasties drive the will to fight back in hopes of helping find a cure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Welcome & congrats on becoming addicted to the crack that is folding ( I say this lovingly :wink: ).

Hopefully us helping on the research can improve outcomes for those down the road while we honor and remember those that have fallen as well as those before us.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Rydh2o wrote:
So... It's been rough cramming all this old infrastructure into one not very well cooled room but I've managed to get 6 machines up and running so far and more to come. Old hardware with a couple nice eggs rolled in. 4 Optiplex 990's, an Optiplex GX650, and a Sager (Clevo W170HR). I'm thinking of playing around with the client on a Dell Poweredge with dual Xeons but I feel this folding stuff relies more on GPU power than processor power. Next in line will be a T7500 with dual xeons and dual SLI nVidia Quaddro 5000's (very enticing). Bottom of my list is an old Dell XPS gaming beast with dual nVidias (can't remember the card model) as it needs alot of work but curious to see how it bumps the numbers as it was a great polygon cruncher in its heyday. Time to put these old beasts to work!

Million here I come!

User Stats:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=625890

If anyone is interested I lost my mother in law to Parkinson's and we host a charity drive for Parkinson's research in Southern California in her honor.
My sister's organization can be found here:
http://pdasd.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=5136

If you are interested you can contact Rachel Peyton (formerly Rachel Holiday) whose contact information is onsite.

Great to be a part of the team!

Rydh2o lost my Dad to Parkinson's a year ago...As you know the loss came way before the death. To see someone loose the ability to do what they love is hard for anyone. To have your own body not DO what you want it to do.... is hell.

Fold on we can beat it Rydh2o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:34 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

CONGRATS on your First Million!!! :)

-dex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I still remember getting my first million. I hope it carries as much significance for you today, as it did for me back then.