Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Time to update the AV/Security Suite... suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

It's that time of year again when I need to update the security software on my home network (I have 3 computers and 1 computer running WHS 2011).

Anyway, for the computers, I've been using Norton Internet Security 2012, and Nod32 on the server.

I'm trying to decide on whether to use ESET or NIS again. The only reason I used ESET on the server is because their NOD32 anti-virus works with Home Server, whereas with Norton, I would have to get a business-class solution (such as EndPoint protection).

Anyway, I have had good luck with both and really don't see much of a difference between the two other than ESET may be a little lighter on resources, but for what I do (which is not gaming, but productivity work) I really don't notice the decrease that some claim.

Anyway, long story short... I don't mind paying for ESET if it's that much better than Norton. From what I've read about NIS 2012 online and in reviews, it seems to be just as good, or better according to reviewers and the computing community. Additionally, I can get the Norton Security Suite (which is basically Norton 360) from my ISP at no charge.

Suggestions? Should I stick with Norton or move to ESET? I don't mind the $70 per year subscription for the 3 PCs, I just want the best protection I can get.

Post subject: Re: Time to update the AV/Security Suite... suggestions?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:39 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Why not go AV'less. Unless you don't trust yourself enough when you surf. In that case, just flip a coin, they are both the same. If you don't have a piece of change in your pocket, then I vote Kaspersky.

Post subject: Re: Time to update the AV/Security Suite... suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I have to agree 100% with Kleink. I have KIS 2013 on my main rig, my work PC, and my kid's computer. It has great default settings, is not intrusive, is not a resource hog, and has saved my bacon more then once when drunk-surfing the web lol.