Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: motherboard post issue (EVGA FTW3)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

My main system crashed wednesday. I have talked with EVGA and I have an RMA (still under warranty)

Here is the thing. It froze and now when I power it I get 3 codes and it reboots over and over (codes not listed in the ol book) EVGA says its a memory/cpu issue. Then they give me the chilling 'the pins might be bent on the CPU' note: Bent pins void a warranty.

This system has been running since 2010 just fine. It has 3 sticks on corsair ram in it along with a 1050 Corsair power supply and Coolermaster 212. Been fine no temp issues.

How could bent pins even come up? I know when the board RMAs Ill never know what really went wrong but really? Im spooked enough to take pictures of the socket now.

Any ideas on an X58 issue I didnt hear about?

V

Post subject: Re: motherboard post issue (EVGA FTW3)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I could see "bent pins on the CPU socket" being an issue if you were in the process of installiing the board for the first time or upgrading the CPU, but since the machine failed on you after having run fine for over two years, I sincerely doubt that's the issue with your board. Before RMAing this board to EVGA, I would recommend a couple of things: 1. Make sure that you use extreme caution when removing both the CPU and its heatsink and fan from the motherboard (so that you don't inadvertently cause a bent pin to become an issue). 2. To ensure that bent pins do not occur during the motherboard's trip back to EVGA's RMA address, take special care to package the motherboard with not only a sturdy cardbard box, but also use plenty of packing material to keep the motherboard from suffering any undue damage from the most hamhanded and clumsy courier alive. The idea of taking pictures of the CPU socket is a good one, just make sure you take several of them (from several different angles) to sufficiently prove to EVGA that a bent pin was not an issue when it was in your possession (in case the socket somehow suffers damage during shipping back to EVGA). I know this seems like overkill, but this is what I would do if I had an Intel motherboard with this issue.

One question: Since EVGA claims that the problem you are experiencing is a memory issue, have you tried running the machine with only one stick of memory in the motherboard at a time?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Speaking of shipping the board back, you did keep that piece of plastic that was over the socket originally yes? I also want to say some companies may not honor your warranty if you don't ship it back with that piece on, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yup you are right. I am tearing up my lab looking for that stupid socket protector. I was so confident in EVGA that I have 3 identical boards and no plastic piece.

Cracks me up I found all kind of crap from old builds but not that. One day I need to sell all the DVI, VGA and SATA cables along with the bags of USB cables I have... But monoprice kills any possibility of profit...

V