Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: constant restart for updates notification
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 am 

I just finished re-installing a computer and I'm getting a notification every time I log in that says I have to restart in order for updates to continue.

The computer is an HP Elitebook (laptop) running Windows 7 x64. I don't think it's a hardware issue because the computer has been in use for some time without issues before this re-install. Some of the installation process included using HP's softpaq application to update all the drivers. My fear is that something went wrong with one of the many driver updates and now I'm not going to be able to tell which one.

Does anyone know how to tell what service is causing this notification? I tried disabling the likely possibilities from the msconfig services and startup tabs but I still get the notification. Any tips on how to track this down would save me a lot of time. Thanks!!

Last edited by MTbuilder on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: constant restart for updates notification
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

And I'm assuming you've updated the OS to the latest patches and such. If it's a vanilla copy of Windows, you'll have to go through several power cycles worth of updates before it stops.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:45 am 

Hello and thanks for the response. I did go through all the normal updates and everything seemed to be normal. The last step I did before the problem started was to install some missing drivers using the HP softpaq and to install Acrobat Pro 9. Both of which asked for restarts to finish the process which I didn't do individually but rather waited and restarted when I was done with both. I am assuming the problem is with one of those but I can't seem to tell which.

My fear is that one of the softpaq installation went badly but I'm not sure how to confirm/deny that...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I would uninstall SoftPaq. If all it is is phoning HP for drivers, you could do this yourself periodically, and the only thing that really needs updating is the graphics driver anyway...

As for Adobe, is that just for reading PDFs? There are much better alternatives to PDF readers. If you need to export to a PDF from something, I recommend PrimoPDF (it works like a virtual printer).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:02 pm 

I will try that as well as Acrobat and then re-install Acrobat if the problem clears. The person I'm installing this computer for uses Acrobat for creating and editing pdf files as well as reading so it limits the options I can use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm 

So I was able to find out that the offending program is adobe updater. Thanks for the suggestions.