500R 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
690ii 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Gpu and Case for new PC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi guys,
been a while since i've been here, but today i picked up some parts for my new computer.
Current parts:
Intel I7-3770k
Corsair vengeance 2*8GB 1600Mhz
Asrock z77 extreme 4
256gb Samsung 830 SSD
Samsung DVD
Corsair HX750w.

Future parts:
Corsair H100
Seagate 2TB barracuda
Unfortunately i didn't call up before hand so they didn't have the case i wanted and I'm waiting for the never settle offer to arrive in Australia (this week hopefully), lesson learnt.
so my questions:
which CASE? Corsair 500r or CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced Black & White
GPU: best 7970 in terms of cost and performance. Im looking at the Gigabyte, Power color and Sapphire models

Post subject: Re: Gpu and Case for new PC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 am 

i am not a fan of the white cases so i will not vote, but i prefer the cm brand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Like Corsair a bit, eh? I guess they're a more global brand than what we seem to have here though. Mushkin may not be widely available there I suppose.

The CM is a very good case and have been building in the 690 series since they've been released. I've seen the comparable Corsairs and have never seen where the extra cost went into the product itself. I do like the white cases though!

Watch those Seagate drives. They're solid when they work, but can be a hair pulling affair when they don't. They're sucking up Samsung and both brands are suffering while in this state of flux currently. I've ragged on Seagate for a couple years now and it almost seems to a point of being unfair or biased, and perhaps so...but I keep trying their drives and each one has given me headaches in the end. I've honestly had better luck with re-furbished WD drives than new Seagates if that says anything. Not sure about how the Warranty changes in Australia, but here in the US WD will still honor the original warranty on re-refurb drives. If the stamp says "2011" on it, then that's when the warranty starts; refurb or not.

If you can find older Samsung F3 spinpoints then those are VERY solid drives still. Only 1TB from what I see (again, being phased over to Seagate and quickly becoming obsolete) but I'd even trust a used drive for a discount and just pair a couple of these monsters up rather than one 2TB Seagate.

Hitachi is WD and are viable drives still, but prices are still a state of confusion. I can watch them change by $20 almost daily. WD green drives have a horrible head parking logic and will just stall here and there if actively used as a drive, but for just plane storage of files for later use they can't be beat IMO. WD Red? I'm mixed there too. I prefer them over the green, but again the pricing doesn't line up correctly IMO.

All this over one part in your build? Yup...just giving options based on experience. I'd just trust WD more with storage, and perhaps other brands besides Corsair here and there from here on out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 am 
Klamath
Klamath

yea i do like corsair quite a bit now since i got sp-2500 speakers and i like the design and quality of their products

thanks Chumly for the hard drive info but in my area for the price its either seagate barracudas or WD greens. so your opinion when limited to either drive?

alsoo as a add in for gpu what is the current opinion on xfx 7970 Double Dissipation Black Edition? vs sapphire vs gigabyte?
Thanks