Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB On 680i SLI..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello All,
I just ordered a OCZ Vertex 4 256GB drive (Black Friday deal, $168 shipped. WOW!) & plan to use it in my current setup (specs below) until I have the funds to complete a new build with an AHCI SATA III motherboard etc. Is there anything I need to know before I proceed with the install of Windows 7HP 64bit?
I've not quiet kept up on the latest tech & need a little assistance.
I thought I read somewhere that you should use the Microsoft drivers for AHCI/Trim support & that I should uninstall the nforce drivers & revert to the MS drivers.. & something about running in IDE mode?
Any tips-tweaks you can give to help me get the most from the Vertex until I can complete my new build.. I sure don't want to kill my first SSD!
Thanks, Phil B.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Motherboard: EVGA 680i SLI A2 122-CK-NF68
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz
Graphics Card: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
System: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache.
Storage: Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II 16MB Cache
RAM: OCZ 2x512 & 2x1GB Gold GX XTC PC2-6400.
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650W

Post subject: Re: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB On 680i SLI..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Z5DELTA wrote:
I sure don't want to kill my first SSD!

Have no fear, the Vertex will kill itself. I had two brick within 7 months of purchase, both on different mobo's. They gladly replaced one, have been assholzs on the second. Nothing but 830's, 530's and M4 for me going forward. OCZ has no strategy, due to inept management, which has produced second rate products. Why would anyone give them their money?

/rant done.

Okay, congrats on the buy, here set up everything right. Good luck with that nand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I posted a website's compiled return rates in France (assuming such, since it was a French website). OCZ has the worst track record at 7% overall return rates with some components in the 50% range. To add to it, I had a Vertex 2 that I wanted to wipe and followed OCZ's instructions using Parted Magic to boot. It bricked the drive.

Yeah, I wouldn't use OCZ anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

OCZ are solid drives, once we do the testing for them...and that's how it's been as they change over chip controllers. Early adopters will ALWAYS do tech support regardless of the brand. OCZ IS high on return rate, but only in early phases of a release. That being said, Vertex 4 are "fixed" and now a solid buy.

No, Intel nor Samsung see this flux like OCZ; but you also pay a premium for the big brains working on it in-house alone. They're mega-corporations that have the man power to do this. OCZ and the like have a different infrastructure during these changes and advances that rely on us geeks. I don't look at it as a flaw anymore than us making better maps for Team Fortress.

Either way; the Vertex 4 works really well, is found relatively cheap, and harder to knock than ya'll are making it out to be. If you don't want to be a Beta tester then pay a minimum of $75 for the big brands after a wait while the other big boys do the in-house for you. It's been months since the Vertex 4 has been released and Intel is just releasing their reply to it. Samsung as well.

We'll bitch about driving the prices of SSD down but then piss on those that do in the same breath? I've NEVER had an OCZ or Mushkin SSD fail and the worst I've ever had to do was a Firmware update. If it whips the drive, so be it...I'm not a n00b and have backups. 10 minutes and I have "the good drive" finally.

Get over it. You're ignoring everything the OP asked in your disdain and something you read online. Nothing said here thus far has helped the poor chap out of his problems.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chumly wrote:
You're ignoring everything the OP asked in your disdain and something you read online. Nothing said here thus far has helped the poor chap out of his problems.

The ironic thing is you did the same exact thing.

I mean, the most I can offer OP is plug the SSD in another machine, run some diagnostics on it, and hope for the best. If the OS or utilities can't do anything with it, what else can we do?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:00 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

LOL! We all pontificate hard/software practicality It's a forum illness.