Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need CD/DVD Help - DESPERATE!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I use a Dell Latitude D630 running Windows XP Pro for work because I need to use some diagnostic apps that won't run under Windows 7. Everything was fine until last Thursday, when I started having trouble with the CD/DVD drive. It seems to read every pre-recorded disk I throw at it - store bought music CDs, home made music CDs, data CDs, store bought DVDs as well as my copied backup DVDs.

My job requires me to download trace logs from the system I work on and burn them to CDs. These CDs are sent back to the manufacturer with the failed parts that I've had to replace. The problem is that the drive won't recognize blank CDs anymore. When I drag a PDF file, for instance, from the desktop to the drive icon, I get a dialog box that says, "D:\ is not accessable. Incorrect function". I've tried 3 different manufactures' disks that I know worked flawlessly in the past, and I've also tried a different drive, all with the same results.

Device Manager shows the drive working okay. I deleted the drive from Device Manager and let the system reinstall it upon reboot, but still the same problem. I even tried a system restore to 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? I really need to get this resolved pronto.

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Need CD/DVD Help - DESPERATE!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you tried updating the firmware on that drive? That usually fixes a lot of problems. Other than that, swap out a known good dvd drive and try it, if it works, you know the other drive is busted.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:37 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yeah ^! Make sure the driver is up to date. Does it read DVD's but not CD's? That's odd and opposite of most older units.

You do know that a new drive is $15. I have a stack of them here laying around. If you want, just PM me and I'll send you one....but the shipping may be half of just buying new.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the info, and the offer kleinkinstein. I've already tried another sertified good drive I bought, but got the same result. Gave the newest drive to a guy I work with and he's going to try it in his laptop tonight just to make sure the drive is good. Haven't tried updating the drive firmware, because the other drive failed the same way - 2 drives with failed firmware?? I suppose it's possible, but not very likely.

If my bud says the drive tested good in his system, I'll probably try replacing the system board. I already have one that I swapped out of this laptop several months ago. Was trying to resolve a different problem, but the system board wasn't it problem, so it should be good.

Dell was trying to get me to re-install Windows, but I doubt that's the problem, besides, I didn't have a recent backup and didn't want to chance mucking things up more than they already are.

Come to think of it, I may have the original drive in tact somewhere. A couple of years ago, I swapped out the original drive for an SSD. If Windows is the problem, the original drive should allow it to work.

Guess I have my work cut out for me tonight.

Thanks again for the advise,
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

svanetti wrote:
Dell was trying to get me to re-install Windows, but I doubt that's the problem

Incredibly mindless, nearly reckless on their part. Good thing you didn't fall for perhaps the dumbest advice I've ever heard. Now you can't ID two drives, huh? Something is whack. Does the drive receive power, does both the BIOS and the Device Manager detect it, but windows doesn't, right?

Try this - Control Panel - Device Manager - CD/DVD - double click the device - Driver's Tab - click Update Drivers (this will likely do nothing) - then RIGHT CLICK the drive - UNINSTALL - REBOOT this will refresh the default driver stack.

Then work your way through these - remember the drive could be bad, could have a loose cable or slight corrosion on the contacts due to the age of this rig.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 - a Mr Fixit

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

When you insert a CD or a DVD, Windows Vista may not recognize the disc
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052

Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media - A Mr Fixit
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

CD/DVD drive does not appear in Windows Vista, or you receive this error during Windows Vista setup after booting from the DVD (AHCI)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952951

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

Hardware devices not detected or not working - A Mr Fixit
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/hardwar ... e_problems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

kleinkinstein...WOW - thanks for all your research!

Haven't tried any of it yet, but wanted to post what I've found. I found my old hard drive, and a backup image I created with Acronis True Image - about a year and a half old. After imaging the old drive, I installed it and the CD/DVD drive works perfectly, so it has to be software. I'm embarassed to say that I haven't backed up since then, so to simply restore that drive I'll loose too much stuff that will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to replace.

Whether it's a Windows file, driver, or something else, I don't know, but something happened within the last 2 weeks to cause this problem. The only thing I can think of that's changed, is that last week I was visiting a friend in North Carolina, and connected to his wireless network to keep up with e-mail - hope I didn't get some sort of virus, but everything else is working fine and he's not complaining of any problems. Maybe I'll try burning something with Roxio instead of XP's wizard first. That could narrow it down to Windows itself.

I'll also go through your links and see what I can come up with. Getting a little late, so might not get through it all tonight, but will definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) post the results.

Thanks again,
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, it's all fixed!

I tried burning a CD using Roxio, and it worked fine. So it had to be something in Windows.

I went through the links you sent, and while I didn't click on any of the Mr. Fixits, I read through what they were supposed to look for, and one of them suggested checking to see if the Recording tab in the drive's Properties page was present. I checked mine, and the Recording tab was there, but to my supprise, the box to "Enable CD recording on this drive" was unchecked. :oops: How it got unchecked is a mystery to me. I can't remember ever being on the drive's properties page. I checked the box, and everything's working just as before.

All that work for a simple check box. Oh well, at least it working again and I can send those trace logs again.

Thanks for not giving up on this. Without those links you sent, God only know how long I may have been working on this, or to what extremes I may have gone.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I had a thought, would a repair install fixed this as well? This is my beef with OEMs now. As much as I like the system restore image, I don't have any fall through if I don't have a startup problem but I know something is wrong with Windows. I also have no way of knowing if using a retail disk would help.

Ah well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:38 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

OEM and Retail are two different key quays, one won't work with the other disk.

SFC may have fixed the problem, however you would have to do windows update after you are done....the files on the dvd are way out of date.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't think a repair install would have worked, though I guess it's possible if it's a Windows default. There was nothing that actually needed to be repaired. It was an "option" that wasn't enabled. It worked fine 2 weeks ago, was on vacation last week, this week it wouldn't work.

As I said earlier, how it got unchecked is a mystery to me. I didn't even know that tab existed.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

A non destructive install (Repair) sets everything to windows default as if from the factory, so that box would have been checked after you were done. SFC would not have done this unless that program was corrupt and it replaced it.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:35 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember that, but then again...

At this point though, I'm just glad it's working again.

Steve