Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A price/performance graph
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:31 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

This is just something I did when bored: a graph that shows relative performance to the price of components. I'm not saying this is definitive and this means anything, but merely a compilation of data to make an observation (again, out of boredom).

I used:

This does not take into account of performance variations due to RAM or if there's an SSD

I want to say it sort of is accurate, as usually you have to spend at least $650 before you get to something considered playable on high settings for modern gaming. If we were in compute land, well I'm sure we'd have a logarithmic chart.

EDIT: If anyone looked, I updated the chart to give a better sense of scale.

Post subject: Re: A price/performance graph
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yup, that feels about right. $1500 is the common PODR, whereas it's $1100 for a smart spec'd BYO. You should send this along to Josh or Gordon. I'd like to see something along this line in the mag. They coulda shoulda woulda prefaced the last issue on Sweetspot components with something like this. Although not perfect, this is still empirical.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Just for kicks, I added DM2012 (excluding the paint job and accessories) and a similar build using a Core i7-3990X instead and not as much RAM/storage or a high-end case like the TJ11. And GPU/CPU graphs. Keep in mind the CPU/GPU graphs are not scored in the same scale, so no, there is no "sweet spot" at $1500.

I noticed that PassMark rated the GTX 690 lower than the GTX 670, so I'm under the assumption PassMark only benched one GPU, or knew there were two and cut the score in half.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Wow! What a jump. Did you include all the cooling nits and nats on the DM? What exactly are you omitting on these charts? Keyboard, mouse, speaks, panel...right? Anything else? You're just pitting box vs. box, right?

Hey, run z77 vs. x79. I expect a real story here, backed by the data. This would be perfect to send to Josh/Gordon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I only used the case and everything that goes inside of it, excluding the paint job and water cooling kit.

I understand there's some issues with the graph because the price includes non-performance affecting parts like the PSU and case, but I was aiming for what performance you can get when you spend x amount of money on the entire build using what we'd normally suggest here.

Although I agree, this would make for a nice article as a followup on their "best bang for the buck", but with some real world benchmarks. GPU would be easy: bench a wide sample of games, take their average FPS, and sum it up. CPU... might be tricky since some benchmarks don't give the same metric, but I think anything that has a "time to completion" should be a good enough indicator, in which you sum up all the times.