Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EP45-UD3P Southbridge failing?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 pm 

Still running an old school E8400 on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Combo has a history of overclocking to 3.6 Ghz but hasn't been overclocked for over a year.

Hasn't been overclocked because it's unstable regardless of what I try. Was solid for years until one day it just went to hell.

Bought a SSD, rather than cloning Windows7 I decided to go vanilla install because that install is a few years old. Install was a nightmare.

-Immaculate Windows7 install disc wouldn't load installer, just blue windows background.
-Computer wouldn't boot from USB at all trying USB installs.
-Both methods tested as working fine on other computers, media isn't an issue.
-Ended up working, booting off DVD and letting it sit for 45 minutes before installer booted up. Install took 3x longer than usual at least.

Finally got it working, now went to boot up this morning and it wants to boot from CD, with an empty drive. But BIOS doesn't detect DVD drive...detects SSD, HDD and DVD is LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL?

Signs of failing hardware? Should I flash a BIOS maybe? Already cleared CMOS when trying to install.

Post subject: Re: EP45-UD3P Southbridge failing?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Overclocking anything in your computer will shorten its lifespan. I found this out firsthand this past summer when I purchased a used motherboard from a reseller on eBay and found that he had overclocked it. The thing worked fine for just over two weeks before it went to hell and nothing I tried could properly address the issue. Most likely, your motherboard is malfunctioning and is therefore not detecting certain components properly when you are installing Windows or trying to boot into it. I am surprised that it recognizes the SSD as this is usually one of the first things that a motherboard will fail to detect if it is on its way out.