Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network internet connection help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:40 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Working on a friends computer: No re-install disk available at this time. Yes it is old but can't afford a new one.

HP Pavilion ze2000
CPU: Mobile AMD Sempron 3000+
RAM: 512MB I think task manager is disabled by admin with regular boot .

I still can not get it to see the internet or any network at all.

What I have been able to do:

In safe mode I have ran CCleaner, MBAM and Microsoft E in safe mode. All were ran with old updates because I can not connect to get new ones. According to all programs everything has been cleaned. And no longer has infection. This computer has been offline for about 4 months scenes first issue, by what I was told.

I have uninstalled network drivers and re-installed with drivers from HP and still no connection. I have set static IP address on the computer that should be able to connect with mine but still no connection, wired or wireless?

Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Network internet connection help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Is the port on a NIC card or onboard? Make sure the port is open/on. Check in the bios. A good number of these old machines, back in the XP days, when reset would close/off the port because of untethered fear of baddies piercing thru right after the OS install without a firewall install and setup first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

kleinkinstein wrote:
Is the port on a NIC card or onboard? Make sure the port is open/on. Check in the bios. A good number of these old machines, back in the XP days, when reset would close/off the port because of untethered fear of baddies piercing thru right after the OS install without a firewall install and setup first.

It's a laptop so onboard I will check the bios to make sure.

When I plug in a network cable it will stay on acquiring network address when I set it to DHCP.

If I give it a static it will take it but still will not connect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

EasyE, have you tried resetting TCP/IP in Windows XP yet? You can do this by clicking on Start, then clicking on Run. In the Run window, type in the following: netsh int ip reset log.txt. Then click the OK button. A command prompt window will appear briefly, then disappear. After the command prompt window disappears, restart your laptop and see if it will connect to the Internet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Check for a rootkit with Sophos tool. Sounds like the Zeroaccess trojan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Please answer the following questions which would clear a few thing up for everyone:

1) Was it a virus infection that cause the computer to stop connecting to the Internet or just stopped working?
2) If you go to the command prompt Start > Run > type: cmd > enter
- type: ipconfig
- What does it come back with? 192.168..... or 169.254....

3) Check to make sure IE does not have a proxy set:
- Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings

If a Virus Run Combofix. Make sure you turn off any Anti-virus appps you have.

If not a virus run tweaking from the link below. You may want to run combofix anyhow
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.p ... 9b142a875e

combofix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Pcstudent, Bald_Yew thanks for the ideas I will try them out when I get home.

Flipper:
I am only assuming that it was a virus, mbam and Microsoft e cleaned many items from the computer. But possible it has changed something that I have not found yet. Or possibly there is still something there but I have ran both at full scan on a regular boot and they find nothing.

When I look at ip config with it set to DHCP I either get nothing or 0.0.0.0
When I look at ip config with a static set up it shows me what I set the ip address to along with the subnet mask and gateway. But still cannot ping anything on my network.

I will check the setting in IE and look into combo fix I believe I have used that program before.

Thanks everyone and I will get back to you when I get a chance to try some of your suggestions out.
E

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:52 am 
Willamette
Willamette

take the static IP off. also run the tweaking b/c it makes things much easier than doing it manually. You might have a corrupted tcp/ip stack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:12 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Ok tried out some things and here are the results unfortunately still not working. But a change.

Tried resetting TCP/IP in Windows XP In the Run window, type in the following: netsh int ip reset log.txt.
Got the indication that you said but still no go.

Check for a rootkit with Sophos tool I DL and ran the tool and it did find 6 one was a trojan the other five classified as malware. Cleaned and still no go.

Ran tweaking and still no go, it did make some positive fixes but still not the issue and hand. I did every step..
Fix that I notice...I can now reach the task manager.

****Currently I can now give the wireless adapter a static IP and it will ping the router and my other computer. But will not connect to the internet. Just thought of something I should see if I can enter my router setup I will try that.....******

If I leave it at DHCP it will continue acquiring a address but never stop.

Any other thought????

Thanks,

EUPDATE
I have been able, trough IE 8, to reach my router when I set the wireless adapter to a Static IP
I just installed Fire Fox and still no internet connection.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

UPDATE ON the UPDATE: I am trying to run comboFix now message I get:

"This machine does not have the "Microsoft Windows recovery console" installed
ComboFix wants to update it but, alas I have no internet connection.

I am still seeing other online type programs showing up....not sure if this is helpful or not, but still NO connection.

I will let combo fix run, it wants 10 min. or more... I will let it run 12 hours if not done by then I will cancel. And call it a good try..

Unless I can get other Ideas...

Thanks everyone.

E

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

EasyE, I apologize that my suggestion did not help at all. It sounds as though you have a more serious issue at hand. My suggestion now is to try some of the steps at this link: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide I hope this helps. (Note: You may have to download the software on this link to a flash drive on a different computer in order to use it on the computer you are having issues with, but then again, you are going to have to use a different computer to reach this site in the first place.)

On a slightly different note, I wonder: Does this computer's hard drive have a hidden partition on it from which you can perform a recovery of the system to its original state?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:13 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

pcstudent wrote:
EasyE, I apologize that my suggestion did not help at all. It sounds as though you have a more serious issue at hand. My suggestion now is to try some of the steps at this link: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide I hope this helps. (Note: You may have to download the software on this link to a flash drive on a different computer in order to use it on the computer you are having issues with, but then again, you are going to have to use a different computer to reach this site in the first place.)

On a slightly different note, I wonder: Does this computer's hard drive have a hidden partition on it from which you can perform a recovery of the system to its original state?

No need to apologize I thank you for your help.

Thanks everyone else too.

Good news it is working now.

Flipper's programs did the trick but I had to use them a different way. Basically the virus new I was trying to kill it when I ran combo fix on a full boot. So I again booted into safe mode, but guess what combo fix was no longer on the desk top?? Along with many other Icons. Went back to full boot everything was there again but combo fix would not run correctly. So I moved combo fix to the root of c:\ booted back into safe mode and was able to run it from there.

I was impressed with the tweeking program Flipper suggested. Great little program that I will now keep with my tool kit.

Thanks all.