Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximum PC's Recommended PC builds (November 2012)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Hey kiddos,

We just posted our Recommended PC builds for August. In the article (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... ember_2012) we highlight three builds: baseline, performance, and ULTRA :D

Let us know what you think!

- Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang

Post subject: Re: Maximum PC's Recommended PC builds (November 2012)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm really surprised to see the LGA-2011 platform in the performance build, especially since the LGA-1155 i7-3770K is a better all-around CPU than the 3820 and since it's super simple to get a nice performance boost from the K processor... LGA-2011 makes sense for the Ultra build, but for most people, LGA-1155 is where you want to be.

Also agree with Kleinkinstein's comment, times are changing, big towers are going the way of the DoDo Bird. Though I'm sure I'll be rockin one for the next decade (assuming the December 21st 2012 Mayan Calendar end of days thingy is really just a load of malarky), most home users want something small & powerful. As such, I would say it's time for a change... Budget (sub $750) = Mini-ITX, mainstream (sub $1,750) = mini-ITX or Micro-ATX, and Ultra ($1,750+)= micro-ATX or full ATX.

And when are you guys going to get off the ASUS bandwagon... [sarcasm]there's nothing quite as satisfying as droping an extra 20% of your cash for nothing more than a name... [/sarcasm] You can get an ASRock or Gigabyte board with the exact same (or better) hardware & software (though the software is named differently....) for about 20% less $$$ Here's a nice little comparison... Take the X79 Sabertooth from the Performance build and compare it to the ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB and the Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, do an in-depth checkup on the hardware & software, then get back to us as to why the Sabertooth is (currently) $55 more than the other two boards... oh wait... it has a 5 year warranty instead of 3 years...

Post subject: Re: Maximum PC's Recommended PC builds (November 2012)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

jimmthang wrote:
Let us know what you think!