Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lost network connection
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:47 am 

I am running XP Pro on a 3 month old Dell box connected to a cisco 10/100 switch and I continuously lose my network connection. Sometimes I am asked to log in when trying access other drives on the network. I can usually log in as a different user, but cannot login with my normal log in. Often, it simply doesn't allow me access to other network drives.

The truly annoying part is that when I try to access a network resource, it takes about 2 minutes before anything happens. Then, I may be asked to log in and I may be granted access to the drive.

Usually, rebooting solves the problem temporarly, but only for a short time.

Does anyone know what might be causeing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:09 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Give us the model numbers of your network equipment.

Also, how do you have your IPs set up? Are they running in DHCP? Static IPs? Do you have firewall apps installed on the machines?

Post subject: Re: Lost network connection
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:19 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Daveu6 wrote:
I am running XP Pro on a 3 month old Dell box connected to a cisco 10/100 switch and I continuously lose my network connection. Sometimes I am asked to log in when trying access other drives on the network. I can usually log in as a different user, but cannot login with my normal log in. Often, it simply doesn't allow me access to other network drives.

The truly annoying part is that when I try to access a network resource, it takes about 2 minutes before anything happens. Then, I may be asked to log in and I may be granted access to the drive.

it doesn't sound like a hardware issue if your login name is the only one that has problems on the same computer.

Post subject: Re: Lost network connection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Daveu6 wrote:

Check the event log and see if there are any entries related to TCP/IP, DHCP, or network in general.