Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Optical Drive Slower Than It Should Be, Liteon iHBS212
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:32 am 

Howdy! I've recently picked up a Liteon iHBS212 and am less than impressed with its performance. After poking around a bit I've figured out that for some reason the maximum read speed of a DVD is set to 6x where it should be 16. I cannot seem to find any way to change it, either.

Looking at the device manager it says that the device is working properly (and it appears to be, it is just very slow) but also that "Windows did not start a related device driver." It appears to be using a generic driver from 2006 or so and Liteon doesn't have any drivers listed on their website available for download. It does have the latest firmware version HL04.

So I'm at a loss what to do here... I don't know if this is an actual fault in the drive itself requiring replacement, or if there's some setting I just can't find. System using Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Any help will be much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

~Harrier

Post subject: Re: Optical Drive Slower Than It Should Be, Liteon iHBS212
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
http://www.ehow.com/how_4928775_change-readwrite-speed-dvd-drive.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:43 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Was this drive an OEM package or a retail package when you purchased it? If it was a retail drive, it should have come with some OEM version of Nero software and you should be able to adjust its speeds within that software.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:23 pm 

While I sincerely appreciate both of these responses, unfortunately neither help. I did purchase the retail package but it did not include Nero. And even if it did, I wouldn't be using it; due to the bloat of nero over the last several iterations I use a number of freeware solutions.

But that just raises the question.... as far as I can tell in the software I'm using it isn't a soft-setting. To all appearances this is a problem at a more basic level. Opti Drive Control reports that the maximum speed for a DVD read operation is 6x. This software isn't interfacing with anything else (so far as I know). I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me this is an issue either with the hardware itself or with the drivers Windows is using.

As I said, the drive itself is brand new. I simply replaced a Samsung SH243 (or something close to that). A simple drop in replacement, not with a fresh system build and Windows install. All of the same software with the Samsung worked just fine, it's just since swapping in the new drive that things slowed down dramatically.

Any other suggestions?

~Harrier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:14 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Try updating the firmware:

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHBS2 ... files.html

Nasty