Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: problems with an ftp server
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Currently I have an ftp server setup with vsftpd on 11.10 behind a router. I have configured iptables for both active and passive connections and have port forwarded all the proper ports (21, 20, and the passive range). However, I still can only connect to the server over Hamachi with an active connection. Everything else fails: w/o hamachi, active; w/o hamachi, passive; w/ hamachi, passive. Even when I do manage to connect, when I transfer a large amount of data, the connection suddenly drops and I can't connect again until I reboot my computer. My computer isn't behind a router as my school hands out public addresses. Any help?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am using FileZilla to connnect.

Post subject: Re: problems with an ftp server
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Disable iptables temporarily and test again. Also make sure that by chance SELinux is not installed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:36 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Hmm, doesn't appear to change anything. It might be a problem with vsftpd. Would proftp be a good recommendation?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

whelderwheels613 wrote:
Hmm, doesn't appear to change anything. It might be a problem with vsftpd. Would proftp be a good recommendation?

As a client or a server? I personally use unix/linux built-in FTP server, and if it's windows I use Filezilla. Windows Server has FTP capabilities, but it uses dynamic port ranges which makes it difficult to do proper port forwarding.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Wolfmann wrote:
whelderwheels613 wrote:

As a client or a server? I personally use unix/linux built-in FTP server, and if it's windows I use Filezilla. Windows Server has FTP capabilities, but it uses dynamic port ranges which makes it difficult to do proper port forwarding.

Vsftpd and proftp only exist in linux based server form. I'm not aware of a "built in" linux server, as the Ubuntu server documentation prescribes the use of vsfptd (https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/servergui ... erver.html). Also, while I appreciate the knowledge on windows based ftp systems, I am running Ubuntu 11.10 so anything beyond that would be superfluous. When you say it uses dynamic port ranges, are you saying that Windows Server doesn't have the ability to define the passive port range?