Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 64 bit driver for older device
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 pm 

I've got three older NEC MultiSync LCD 1770GX set up in a multimonitor setup. I've Googled until my fingers bled, but I can't seem to find a device driver for this that will work with 64 bit Windows 7. Is there any generic driver I can use to get the USB hubs to work? It would really be nice to get them working again since it would put 12 ports up on my desktop. The displays all seem to be working fine as a "Generic PnP Monitor", but the USB hubs come up as unrecognized devices. Of all things, I wouldn't expect a USB hub to be this much of a problem!

Thanks!
WB

Post subject: Re: 64 bit driver for older device
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Monitors don't have device drivers. Graphics chips or onboard graphics do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:26 pm 

FascistNation wrote:

There are drivers listed on the NEC website for this model. I'm guessing it is mainly for the USB port, not su much the monitor itself.

I know the USB ports still work because I can hook it up to my Ubuntu laptop and the USB works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:46 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

FascistNation wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble, FascistNation, but my Samsung SyncMaster 935bwx 18.5" LCD monitor has both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers and they are for the analog and digital connections on the monitor.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:49 pm 

pcstudent wrote:
FascistNation wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble, FascistNation, but my Samsung SyncMaster 935bwx 18.5" LCD monitor has both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers and they are for the analog and digital connections on the monitor.

A lot of the NECs have analog and digital drivers on the website. There are 32 bit drivers for my monitor, but I can't find 64 bit drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Here's a question: what's the driver for? A monitor driver that's required doesn't necessarily make sense because communications are standard. While displays have a communication line to control various aspects of the monitor, this is a VGA standard, and thus you can have a generic driver for it (though I guess it depends on if the commands themselves are standard).

If it's the USB hub that isn't working, then it's a USB hub driver problem, not a monitor driver problem. The data line on VGA and DVI is I2C, which is turtle speed compared to even USB1.1 at its best. And it would be stupid to tie control to such a data line anyway. Also do you need 12 USB ports? Is this something you can just live without? I know it isn't solving the problem, but if you don't have drivers available for it, then well, that's too bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Here's a question: what's the driver for? A monitor driver that's required doesn't necessarily make sense because communications are standard. While displays have a communication line to control various aspects of the monitor, this is a VGA standard, and thus you can have a generic driver for it (though I guess it depends on if the commands themselves are standard).

If it's the USB hub that isn't working, then it's a USB hub driver problem, not a monitor driver problem. The data line on VGA and DVI is I2C, which is turtle speed compared to even USB1.1 at its best. And it would be stupid to tie control to such a data line anyway. Also do you need 12 USB ports? Is this something you can just live without? I know it isn't solving the problem, but if you don't have drivers available for it, then well, that's too bad.

With XP, the driver allowed you to change video settings through the computer without using the buttons on the bottom of the screen. The USB hub has a separate USB cable on it that has to be plugged into a regular USB port. It isn't over the same cable as the video. I don't need 12 ports, but having at least 5 up on the desktop would be nice. I'm just about ready to admit defeat and accept that it really is too bad. :(