Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Metro minimization on dual display setup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:25 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Greetings all!

I have a question that an hour of google searching has yielded nothing.

I am running Windows 8 on 2 monitors. The one and only annoyance I have with the metro menu is that it automatically minimizes whenever I click anything on my other display. This would be much more useful to me if it stayed up while I was say, browsing the web on one monitor, or playing a video game.

Any help on this would be great!

Post subject: Re: Metro minimization on dual display setup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Wait, you WANT metro? Holy, Holy Shit, so it's you...you are the one guy that this crap was built for!

....that feature doesn't exist. Need to wait for SP1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:34 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Lol yes I like the 'windows start screen' :lol:

I have been an IT professional for over 10 years and honestly I don't see what everyone's issue with it is. I have added a lot of active tiles that are pertinent to me. I can be playing games or surfing the web and get stock updates, news updates, useful tidbits of information, email notifications etc.

Aside from the Windows start screen, I don't really see it much more than Windows 7 with some speed enhancements. Plus the 2d hardware acceleration is nice. Being a programmer you gain an attention to detail and I can tell the fonts and graphics are crisper which to my eyes helps greatly.

In my opinion though, to make the Start screen useful, Microsoft needs to make it so you can have windows floating over it (even putting notepad over it minimizes it) and make is so it doesn't minimize when you are using multiple monitors. Otherwise their 'active' tiles make no sense as no one is going to just sit and stare at the Start screen all by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

To be honest, Metro might give me an excuse to use my second screen at home. I won't go after Windows 8 just yet, but maybe when Metro Apps start rolling out with something like the old Desktop gadgets or give me something similar to Rainmeter, I'll make the upgrade.

As much as a computer geek as I am, I find no real interest in programming for fun or setting up crazy Linux boxes. I have enough issues with the software I use regularly, I don't need any more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:35 am 
Klamath
Klamath

That makes sense Latios. Since the upgrade was only $40 and the fact that I generally try to test new technology before my users do at work, I thought it was a good opportunity to jump :). I found myself actually liking it though. Half contemplating putting it on my laptop as well, but I only have my laptop screen so not sure how good of an experience it would be with just one screen ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Now if I can just figure out how to get the Start screen to not minimize when I click away! Maybe there is a registry setting somewhere lol.