Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need to set a daily download volume limit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 am 

We run a holiday cottage, (US: vacation rental). Our broadband comes via a satellite with a monthly download volume limit of 8GB. Visitors may stay any period from 3 days up - we could have 8 different parties staying in a month. There is a tendency for the first visitor each month to mop up the whole month's volume allocation which is not fair on the other clients. A recent client used up the entire 8GB in the first 24 hours of his stay, (2 teenage boys in the party!). I would like to set up my router to have a daily limit of 0.25 GB; that way it is fair deals for all. Any suggestions on how I achieve this?

I know that I can probably do this by setting up a wireless network from a computer, however, I do not want to leave a computer switched on all the time in the cottage, (we are normally there only once a week and there is nowhere secure to locate it). I really want something stand-alone like an intelligent router. Help please!

Post subject: Re: Need to set a daily download volume limit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

dynamicist wrote:
We run a holiday cottage, (US: vacation rental). Our broadband comes via a satellite with a monthly download volume limit of 8GB. Visitors may stay any period from 3 days up - we could have 8 different parties staying in a month. There is a tendency for the first visitor each month to mop up the whole month's volume allocation which is not fair on the other clients. A recent client used up the entire 8GB in the first 24 hours of his stay, (2 teenage boys in the party!). I would like to set up my router to have a daily limit of 0.25 GB; that way it is fair deals for all. Any suggestions on how I achieve this?

I know that I can probably do this by setting up a wireless network from a computer, however, I do not want to leave a computer switched on all the time in the cottage, (we are normally there only once a week and there is nowhere secure to locate it). I really want something stand-alone like an intelligent router. Help please!

Unfortunately you're best to go with commercial solution. You can set quota's on some wireless routers, but they're cumbersome and very time consuming to monitor. What is the model of your wireless router?

Post subject: Re: Need to set a daily download volume limit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 am 

The present router is a Cisco Linksys E1200. I don't think that this will get anywhere near what we are wanting to do. I am told that we can filter out certain file types in some routers: avi, mov, wmv, etc. so as to prohibit streaming video and music, as I guess these are the heaviest loads on the Gb usage. Doing this we would set up an alternative user account with a different that gives access to these items on that basis that we then monitor and back-charge for usage volume. I need to know what router will allow me to do this easily as I am not a programming geek.