Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Possible power supply problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yesterday, I set about reassembling my Windows 7 computer which I built in June 2009. When I got everything back together, plugged everything in, and booted the computer, I was greeted with a checksum BIOS error, so I went into the BIOS and set everything properly and restarted the computer. This time the computer started to boot into Windows and I was greeted with a BSOD which appeared briefly, then the computer restarted. Again, the BSOD appeared, and the computer again restarted itself. This time, it told me that one of my hard drive needed to be checked for errors, so I let checkdisk run. After it completed the checkdisk, it told me to restart the computer and I did. This time it gave me the option to repair the startup, so I had it attempt to do that, but that resulted in failure as well. During this time, I began to smell an acrid electronic burning smell, so I shut the computer down for about twenty or thirty minutes, and unplugged everything. I then opened the case and began checking all the connections for any evidence of burning, but found nothing wrong physically. So I plugged everything in again, and restarted the computer, again resulting in a BSOD. Another restart resulted in another checkdisk that took a little more time than the previous one, and prompted me to restart the computer. This time I was able to reach a login screen, but was unable to enter my user account password. Again, I restarted the computer, and this time I was able to login to Windows, but there were programs missing in the Start Menu, and I was unable to install some Windows Updates.
Undaunted, I put my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Upgrade disk in one of the optical drives and formatted the SSD drive and reinstalled Windows 7 on the SSD. The installation went smoothly and I was able to get all of my drivers, programs, and Windows Updates installed. However, I am still curious about the burning smell that I noticed earlier, so I have gone into the BIOS and checked the voltages for all of the rails. Both the +3.3v and the +12v rails appear to be consistent and steady, but the +5v rail fluctuates from +4.992v to 5.017v (it used to remain at one value before this, IIRC). What I think has happened is that a capacitor for this particular rail went kaput, causing a voltage surge to the SSD and corrupting the original Windows install. Any other theories as to what might have happened?

Last edited by pcstudent on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Possible power supply problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

BTW, here are the relevant specs for this computer:

SSD: 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD with firmware revision 1.35
Motherboard: XFX Geforce 8300 AM2+ motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom 8650 Toliman 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor
RAM: 4 2 GB sticks Crucial DDR2 800 MHz memory
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS750QBL 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply