Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hidden HDD issue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 am 

Greetings folks.

I seem to have upset someone who is much better at networking/computers than I am.

I had shared my 3TB drive to my laptop over the Cisco router I have and (whomever) (s)he reached in and deleted all files from all folders. I tried deleting the folders, but was not allowed. Iirc, the system said the folders were not there, although I could see them.

I left this individual a nasty statement as a folder .. and now I cannot see this drive at all. It can be said perhaps I should not have upset this individual but (s)he was already being invasive, destructive, and rude so I just let off.

To recover my drive, what I have done so far is:
1) Removed the 3.0 USB driver and reloaded
2) Searched the registry in both Hkey_local_machine/.../current_control_set and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer (under both reg acct and Admin)
3) Searched in Diskpart (drive does not show here)
4) Searched in Computer management (drive does not show here)
5) Searched in GPEdit under User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer

I'm at a loss as to where to check next. I've hooked the drive up to another computer and it doesn't show there either, although it gives the noise associated with connecting a USB device.

I'm also in the process of learning various ways to lock my computer down better as I'm poking around in the GPeditor. I had previously believed my wireless network pretty secure as I have a great password and it's locked down to 3 connections via hex addresses (my laptop, netbook and printer.)

I believe the only way to try to catch whomever did it would be to load up wireshark and keep an eye out, or is this incorrect?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Hidden HDD issue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm 

Issue resolved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just out of curiosity, what'd you do?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:40 pm 

Someone postulated the drive may be failing. I unplugged it, powered it completely off (didn't know it had an on-board on/off switch, just found it) and it's back to 100% w/o any of the files missing. Learn something new every day. I gotta back these things up now. :)