Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus vs gigabyte vs asrock
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 am 

I am building a gaming pc and am trying to decide between asus z77-v standard(non pro or delux but would also like to know the difference between the asus variants), gigabyte Z77x ud5h, or asrock extreme 6. All these boards are around the same$. These 3 boards aren't set in stone so any other suggestions would help to as long as they stay within 200$ range.
Any help would be greatly appreciated;)

Post subject: Re: Asus vs gigabyte vs asrock
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 am 

The higher end asus boards usually offer more 6GB/s sata ports and they also can run RAM at higher clock speeds too. In some premium boards you'll also get thunderbolt ports and few more USB ports too. All the boards offer pretty much the same features but I recomend Asus because thats all I've ever used and they great integrated overclocking tools in the Bios.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The z77 models you mention amount to Ford vs. Chevy or if you swing the other way, Honda vs. Toyota. Have you read the respected reviews for each board, yet? Go to Anandtech and Tom's and avoid all us goons with our half baked opinions, rig fiction, tall tale truism and hollow brained beliefs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I gotta go with kleinkinstein's answer. All 3 boards are basically the same (Ford vs Chevy vs GMC) it just comes down to brand loyalty and reading reviews from hardware sites (Tom's, HARDOCP, Anandtech) and from Newegg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:52 pm 

Thanks for the help! I am going withe the asus board( I think it looks the best) I will be using the 3570k processor. What kind of cooling will be adequate for a mild overclocking? I am open any kind of cooling suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

No way totally off!

More like BMW vs Lexus VS Mercedes, actually :mrgreen: Because ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock are pretty much the top three no? But everyone will probably differ on which mobo is BMW, which is Lexus, etc.

But yeah, kleinkinstein's got it pretty much right. This time, that is :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hindolio wrote:
No way totally off!

More like BMW vs Lexus VS Mercedes, actually :mrgreen: Because ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock are pretty much the top three no? But everyone will probably differ on which mobo is BMW, which is Lexus, etc.

I would only say BMW vs Lexus vs Mercedes if you go with the higher end versions, not the $170 versions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Ness.EarthBound wrote:
hindolio wrote:
No way totally off!

I would only say BMW vs Lexus vs Mercedes if you go with the higher end versions, not the $170 versions.

Even BMW, Lexus, & Mercedes have their low priced models, mid priced models, & high priced models... & $170 for a z77 board is in the middle of the mid-priced models... $185 even gets you onboard Thunderbolt times 2

I've owned & trusted boards from all 3 manufacturers, from bargain basement low dollar boards all the way up to the most expensive motherboard I've ever purchased. Had problems with 2 out of 9 ASUS boards, ASUS tech support took care of one in less than a week, I fried the other through a bad overclocking attempt. Had problems with 1 out of 5 Gigabyte boards, Gigabyte tech support also took care of it in less than a week. So far no problems out of either of the ASRock boards, though the first has just under 4 months of use & my newest X79 Extreme9 has just under 3 weeks of use.

If I had to choose a reason not to like any of the three, it would be ASRock because of their slow download speeds on their website. I get up to 3MB/sec from both ASUS & Gigabyte, but only 150 - 350 KB/sec from ASRock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

chaosdsm wrote:
If I had to choose a reason not to like any of the three, it would be ASRock because of their slow download speeds on their website. I get up to 3MB/sec from both ASUS & Gigabyte, but only 150 - 350 KB/sec from ASRock.

You're hilarious! That friggin funny as shit. But so true, their servers suck!