These guitars won't be playable since they won't have any strings. However, I still wanted some playability in them. So I installed an 8" LCD touch screen where the sound hole is, in hopes that there would be a musical program available similar to that guitar app I've seen on some smart phones.
Here's the back of the LCD, placed over the sound hole. I glued some blocks down on each corner so it wouldn't move side to side, then I screwed a metal tab to each one to secure the screen. Once again I neglected to take a pic of that. Tight deadlines always mean fewer pics lol.
Here's a shot of the front, testing the monitor while installing the OS. I had widened the sound hole a bit to match the screen's height, but there will be some areas that won't be seen. Unavoidable when fitting a rectangular shape behind a round hole lol. At least I made sure not to get the widescreen version!
There was no way to orient the motherboard so the IO ports faced the edge since everything is curved, so I had to run extension cables out to the side of the guitar. I purchased a set of Fractal Design front IO ports from Newegg, which include 2 USB 3.0 ports and an eSATA port. Along with that, I got a 6" HDMI extension cable for the guitar's video output. Lit power and reset buttons complete the panel.
After getting the positioning down, I traced out the port shapes and started cutting them out. First step was to drill out some starter holes.
Since the sides of the guitars were so thin, I could carve most of the material out with an xacto knife. Then file the remainder out to the lines.
To mount the ports, I glued together some pieces of plywood, then fashioned a metal hold-down to keep the ports secure.
Then I glued the wooden piece to the inner sidewall.
Ports in place and fitting nicely.
Here's a finished shot of the IO port area.
For exhaust, I installed some 80mm fans at the top, one on each side of the neck. For the first guitar, I went with some mesh for the fans.
Here's a shot of the back. The mesh was bent flat and held in place by hot glue. You can also see the metal tabs that hold the LCD screen in place.
A shot of the fans in place. They are wedged in place behind the LCD blocks, so I only needed one metal tab to hold the fans down on one corner.
For the second guitar, I decided to do something different, and cut wide slots with rounded ends. Using a simple hack saw blade made quick work of the side wall.
In retrospect, I should have done this on both guitars! I love how this looks, and it was easier to do than the mesh.
Next update will cover the final touches, and front fillagree designs.
This project is brought to you by: