Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buying a laptop for my mom...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 pm 

Hello again, I need your help again, I guess everyone in my family suddenly wants a computer. Anyway this will be the last thread of mine for a while I promise!

I think this one is easy though. I am going to be buying a laptop for my mom. The budget is $500. All she will be doing with this laptop is internet surfing. That's it. She doesn't even know how to use a computer currently, she has asked me to teach her how. So her needs are very basic.

I was just going to go on to Dell.ca and buy her the cheapest one they have, but before I did that I thought I would come here since I have received so much helpful advice in the past.

What do you recommend?

Post subject: Re: Buying a laptop for my mom...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:10 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
All she will be doing with this laptop is internet surfing.

First, if all she is truly going to be doing is internet surfing (no email or limited email) then you may want to try a tablet. Amazon has a 9" Kindle Fire HD for $300. That's the wifi version (the 4G version is $500). I bought my mother a the 7" Kindle Fire and she uses that thing constantly - it's perfect for one person and easy to use. I only suggested the larger one because it might be easier to view web pages with it (web pages are pretty cumbersome on the 7").

I noticed you referenced a Canadian webpage and I should tell you I'm referring to US companies. I think there would be a sister company up in Canada, but the prices and specifics may vary.

If you think a laptop would be better, then here's an ASUS i5 15.6" laptop that's within the budget. You might find a cheaper one, but the cheaper you go the slower the laptop will be.

Bang for buck, ASUS is your best bet - and they make some pretty good and reliable machines. Personally, I've always had good luck with HP (my family has had at least 5 laptops) but I know many people have not.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:16 am 
Klamath
Klamath

btdog wrote:
Quote:
All she will be doing with this laptop is internet surfing.

First, if all she is truly going to be doing is internet surfing (no email or limited email) then you may want to try a tablet...

That ain't that bad of an idea actually, especially if she doesn't know how to use a computer in the first place. I realize this may sound mean, but if she truly doesn't know how to use a PC, you West996 will end up tearing your hair out possibly. A tablet is generally much simpler and easier to use. But it's your call of course.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:10 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, before you actually make a purchase, take her to a brick and mortar store (something like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or the like) and see which one strikes her as more interesting/fun to use.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 am 

Never even thought about a tablet. You guys are right, that might actually be a good idea. I will talk to her about it, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 pm 

It looks like we are going to stick with the laptop idea.

The reason why I had first thought to go with Dell is because in the past I have had good customer service with them, and I figure that if the laptop needs to be warrantied or repaired they will stand behind their product.

Is ASUS good with that sort of thing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I use Dell and I've used ASUS. The other people around me say that both suck for support... but I haven't had any problems with Dell computers and ASUS performed well when I had to RMA a laptop I bought from Amazon.com.

So both companies are fine in my opinion.