Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New PC Build - Budget of 600
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 pm 

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next two weeks (pending check/time)

Budget Range: 500-600 < total after shipping/building

System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, homework (powerpoint and onenote usage), editing videos, editing pictures, maybe some gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: I currently have an old monitor and I'm thinking of upgrading

Do you need to buy OS: Yes > i have an OEM listed in my newegg wishlist, what is the best option?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, although i'd love to hear any opinions about other sites

Parts Preferences: Intel cpu, can be persuaded otherwise though.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No < a little too expensive for my range, right?

Your Monitor Resolution: if i did upgrade > 1920x1080

Here is my parts list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=21326066

Further notes:

I've always wanted an htpc, and if I ever get to build a pc with a full sized mobo and everything, I'd use the cheaper one I'm building now as the htpc. That being said, what case should I get that could be used as a normal pc for now, and a htpc later. Should I just get a normal case for now and transfer the components to a new htpc case?

I have two different graphics cards listed, one's passively cooled and the other has a fan, what do you prefer?

I also have two different cases listed, I definitely need some input on what I should do there. Should I get a different power source? I hear the ones that come with cases aren't very reliable.

Please, if you have any preference for part brands/types, let me know why! I want to learn the ins and outs of all of this, I'm looking forward to this learning process.

Post subject: Re: New PC Build - Budget of 600
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 pm 

Your definitely on the right track with the parts you've selected for your HTPC. I would suggest getting the 7770 as apposed to the 7750 because it is only going to be about $20 more and would provide a 25% boost in graphics performance, in terms of framerates. Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161402
Other than that you might want to get a better case than the Apex DM-387 like a NZXT 410 but at $50 is half the cost of the 410 so if you want to cut down your budget then you might want to invest more money into your case since you'll probably use it for more than just one build because its a piece of hardware that will last the longest generally. The case is also what your going to be looking at everyday so you'll want it to be visually appealing. Here's the link for the NZXT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146091
You can also add an SSD for better boot performance but you'll be looking at another 80 to 100 dollars if you want to put a 128GB one to use as a boot drive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

mre2789 wrote:
...System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies,...

Silly you - you have no DVD or Blu-ray player so how are you going to watch movies from your computer? :mrgreen:

mre2789 wrote:
...I've always wanted an htpc, and if I ever get to build a pc with a full sized mobo and everything, I'd use the cheaper one I'm building now as the htpc...

I don't understand this. Do you want to build a PC that you can later turn into an HTPC? If so, then I guess you can recycle some parts from a budget build into an HTPC later, but imho it is difficult to determine all the parts you might need/want later that will also fit particular needs/wants now.

In any case, something like this might be suitable to start off:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kaqg

Notes:
- The Intel i3-3225 CPU has Intel HD4000 graphics built in, so no need for a GPU. You will be able to game, but don't expect much (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... dge_8.html).
- Blu-ray drive included, but if you only need DVD capabilities, it's about $35 cheaper.
- Monitor not included - pick a 24-inch panel that's to your liking.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:31 pm 

yeaa that was not written well. i was just saying that in the future id want an htpc and that id want to use the parts from this build for making that htpc. for now i need a standard pc for work etc