Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What Is AHCI????
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have a choice in BIOS to use either AHCI or IDE. I believe IDE is the old way hard drives connected to the MOBO so, should I have this setting set to AHCI????

Post subject: Re: What Is AHCI????
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

If you are using an SSD or a hard drive that is being used as an external drive via an e-SATA port on the motherboard, you will want it set to AHCI. If you are using Windows XP or Vista as your OS, you will want to load the AHCI drivers from a floppy disk at the F6 prompt during installation. If you are using Windows 7 as your OS, it has native AHCI drivers built-in and you will not need to install any AHCI drivers at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:30 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Definition/explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_H ... _Interface

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yeah, I can go to Wikipedia too. I was hoping there was a human being that had the ability to wrap the whole thing in in like, two sentences or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

The did in the article pretty much:

Quote:
Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA emulation, standard AHCI mode, or vendor-specific RAID (which generally enables AHCI in order to take advantage of its capabilities). Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility.[1] Legacy mode is a software backward-compatibility mechanism intended to allow the SATA controller to run in legacy operating systems which are not SATA-aware or where a driver does not exist to make the operating system SATA-aware.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

robertco300 wrote:
Yeah, I can go to Wikipedia too. I was hoping there was a human being that had the ability to wrap the whole thing in in like, two sentences or so.

I was hoping there was someone smart enough to read the entire article. Well, since you're that lazy... You get two things

• Hot swapping
  • Native Command Queuing, this only works on hard drives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

robertco300 wrote:

Then perhaps you should've added that you went there, but just didn't undertand what was said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:22 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Modern hardware works best under AHCI mode, & by modern I mean all SATA II or newer drives & optical drives less than 2 years old.

If you really want details, I suggest you spend the time to read this http://www.Intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... ev1_3.html especially sections 1.7 Theory of Operation and 1.8 Interaction with Legacy Software and be prepared to look up a bunch of acronyms.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

furball146 wrote:

Then perhaps you should've added that you went there, but just didn't undertand what was said.

Why would I add that when I never went to Wikipedia?? Christ, you can't even read. I said I CAN go to Wikipedia but chose not too. Do you need me to explain to you what that means??

Christ if you got a stick up your ass stay away from my threads, last thing I need is to read your pathetic rantings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

robertco300 wrote:
I said I CAN go to Wikipedia but chose not too. Do you need me to explain to you what that means??

No need. We all know you're a lazy, paranoid, [explicative].

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:09 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

This jerk is nothing but a troll, ignore it!

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

robertco300 wrote:
Why would I add that when I never went to Wikipedia?? Christ, you can't even read. I said I CAN go to Wikipedia but chose not too. Do you need me to explain to you what that means??

Christ if you got a stick up your ass stay away from my threads, last thing I need is to read your pathetic rantings.

So you're putting the postings here as more credible over wikipedia? ::blinks::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:16 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

No, I'm just someone who really appreciates a human response. Someone who has experience in the problem I am having. If you're not that person than you shouldn't be here.

edit - maybe someone who has 6,000+ posts, maybe you should get a girlfriend.......or a boyfriend, whatever your thing is. But a life is a good start................

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Get bent idiot!

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

robertco300 wrote:
No, I'm just someone who really appreciates a human response. Someone who has experience in the problem I am having. If you're not that person than you shouldn't be here.

...and the peeps who write the articles there aren't human? Incidently, the people that write those articles are indeed experts in their field.

...although as poorly as you treat people here, I can't imagine your view of people there being any higher...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

robertco300 wrote:

For a person that cherishes human responses you certainly don't know how to interact with them.

Quote:
edit - maybe someone who has 6,000+ posts, maybe you should get a girlfriend.......or a boyfriend, whatever your thing is. But a life is a good start................

I cannot believe this is how you thank people. Nasty, Latios, chaos...they were trying to help you. If you can't appreciate that, then maybe you're in the wrong place.

You know what? you might want to check out the Apple store - you might fit in better.