Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MOBO Battery Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

In about a week, I will be unplugging my pc and doing a few hours work on her. The system/battery is 3 years old and I am concerned if the battery doesn't hold up I will lose my BIOS information. Especially since I just flashed the BIOS for the first time in 3 years.

I'm worried that ASUS just used some cheap battery that wouldn't hold up after 3 years. I'd like to get in there, find out the EXACT battery that is being used by reading the numbers on it and purchasing a brand new one, then I would have no problems when I unplug it to work on. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: MOBO Battery Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's probably a standard CR2032. You can find these at the local store. Either way, there should be markings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:56 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yeah.....we all know batteries have "markings" on them to make them distinguishable from other batteries.

If a BIOS is flashed, is it hardcoded to the board or does it constantly need voltage going to it to keep it's memory? If I shutdown the pc and reach in and pull out the battery to read the, "markings", will there be any problems? Shutdown.......NOT unplugged.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well considering the common way of erasing your BIOS settings is by removing the battery... Though I think if you can save settings, that's permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
for a person with so many questions and so little knowledge, you sure have an attitude, no you will not lose your bios just the settings. if you want to "not" lose the bios settings, just shut down the machine replace the battery with a new one then unplug it and you will not lose the bios settings. computer batteries have been standard for a good number of years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

How do you do know I have so little knowledge? Coming from someone that has never met me before, that's is a stupid statement.

I'm sure there are libraries of knowledge I possess which you wouldn't know the first thing about. Just to give you a clue, sine you obviously don't have any, I'm 99% sure of what the answers to my questions are gonna be...........I just like to be thorough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you are are about as full of shit as a Christmas goose. the stupid questions you ask tell me everything I need to know about you. and if you know so much, how come nothing you do seems to work, you keep asking the same questions phrased a little differently, in different threads all the time. and almost every time someone disagrees with your supposed knowledge, you jump out with some off the wall comment about how stupid someone is or similar.

Yeah.....we all know batteries have "markings" on them to make them distinguishable from other batteries.
Some idiot tried to say that couldn't happen
Why would I add that when I never went to Wikipedia?? Christ, you can't even read. I said I CAN go to Wikipedia but chose not too. Do you need me to explain to you what that means??
Christ if you got a stick up your ass stay away from my threads, last thing I need is to read your pathetic rantings.
no one noticed anything about you cause no one cares about what you do
Yeah, I can go to Wikipedia too. I was hoping there was a human being that had the ability to wrap the whole thing in in like, two sentences or so. you just drip sarcasm in some of the posts i went back and looked at.

then a statement... eeeeeeee......you still use Google???? All of the tracking and saving of your info and the ease of which they allow the government, without a warrant, to search your search history????? Not for me.

then another one... PLEASE......please don't ever post a link to a Google search in any of my threads again. Please, I really do appreciate the help and this is NOT a negative thing. Thanks.

and then... Google search took me to Microsoft site and one of the remedies is to update hard disk controllers. Don't know how. I downloaded the latest BIOS ROM image from ASUS for my mobo, that's all.

how inconsistant can a person be, especially one with all your knowledge. :shock: :? :roll: