Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Whats your best ever PC related purchase?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I'll start.

Of distant past, the combo of an HT Omega Claro+ and Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1. Each are still rockin'. Of recent past, a pair of 256 830's in Raid0. Both made me scream "WOW" and shout "HOLY HELL"!

Post subject: Re: Whats your best ever PC related purchase?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'd have to say... Pentium III 800MHz slot 1 processor... the heart of my very first computer build, & one heck of an updgrade from the 400MHz Celeron slot 1 processor in the first & only OEM PC I've ever purchased.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 am 

track ir 4 for the flight sims.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:54 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh Jeeez, the single best is too tough dude. I can only itemize and comment on my favorite parts that have been drug around knowing that I really liked them. If I had to get it down to just one purchase in my entire tech life, it's kind of embarrassing: 60G OCZ Apex. It was my first SSD, was budget yet still pretty expensive; yet opened my eyes to what they can offer to a build and my love affair to follow to this day. If not for the WHS or needing capacity on the Main Rig (Raptor 1T) to work off of, I'd never have a need for a spindle drive in any build after that.

CPU: E8400. It's the Chevy 350 of CPU's IMO and haven't found anything that fit's it's niche for "do it all" until the i5 2500K, which I still don't hold above the E8400 over all in this timeline. The only reason I haven't ran here it is that s775 is officially dead. It's still doing duty in a buddy's charity build and will see it again this weekend for his checkup (and stealing parts I want). Solid Effing CPU and I've beat up on a few. 2500K 2nd, 925 Presler 3rd.

Sound: I'm with ya on the Klipsch Ultra 5.1's. I still rock them and will not replace anytime soon...probably die with 'em. I had a little heartbreak when it failed quickly, but with about $20 in tweaks with specific IC's that were at fault that thing rocks even harder and has been rock solid. I wear headphones a lot because I absolutely know I piss off the neighbors. These things have been the fly on my wall too. They've rocked through my bachelor days, pounded company parties, Swood a GF that became my wife 8 years later, and now have a boy that's almost 1yo that still gets to hear their beauty and soft tones. Tough call to not say it's my best purchase ever, but it's audio and not really a computer part (yes it's "related", I understand, and still think the SSD is a higher love affair)

HDD: 60G Quantum Fireball. This sucker was fast in it's day and am STILL running it. I think I bought it in 1999 (in a Mac store in Arkansas none the less) and it hasn't sat around not being used, ever. To still be kicking shows that this is the epitome of durability and how HDD's should carry themselves. It was part of my first real PC build and the only one still hanging around doing something. Not much, but something.

PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520. It wasn't just pretty in it's nickle case, but stood up to all my abuse I could give it; and this is before they even started to talk to PCP&C by a decade. It never died in the line of duty but to my own actions in 2009. I use to dissected it like an alien in Area 51 to see why it worked as well as it did, found it's Seasonic, and I do believe the world still revolves around Seasonic suggestions based on these minor findings. I finally killed it in 2009 and if I weren't so hamfisted w/ it, it'd be running in this garage computer today. Yup, curiosity killed the Angus Bull; yet it was done for the sake of Aperture science.

Memory: Man I can't even find it anymore, even on their website, but it's OCZ SpecOps Urban Camo SE DDR2 with the redneck chicken fence. It wasn't the regular 800 stuff but 866 or something odd that went far beyond that when I was a hardcore OC fanatic. I pushed it hard and stuff died around it far before it even shrugged. I have to check again, but I think I just shipped it out a week ago in build for a forum member. I'd feel more bad about it if DDR2 was still relevant. Either way, I've had 1866 (?) stuff from the same vendor freak out where these things just carried on in such a low rated bin. Those Reapers are clearly discolored showing I hit them hard and know I just ran the Urban Elites I've pushed harder in the last month. Hard core. Too bad they got out of the business really, but Mushkin slides in just fine.

Motherboard: No solid opinion. I have 3 great boards that still function and have their own stories to tell. Decades apart but are all in my solid category. I've never killed a board (bad boards kill themselves) and updates to a series are relative. If my hand is forced; the Abit BE-6 440BX/Slot-1 is the champ, Asus 925x 2nd (enter the new PCIe standard), Asus x58 3rd. Still all great in their own era so all equals IMO. It's all about the chipset really, then how the motherboard maker implemented it. Jumperless OC'ing AND it takes it? Abit BE-6.

I have other favorites but it's nickle and dimeing enough already. I can't put any of my favorite parts together in one build, and that's the sad thing about letting old hardware go to pasture. I will NEVER eBay/Craig's any of it and will use it in picture frame builds of yore unless it's a really good home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't think I've had much in the way of a great purchase. The only thing that's stuck with me the longest are the dinky Logitech X-530s, only because I don't really care about audio as much as other people do. But I do have two purchases in mind that made me really happy.

1. SilverStone FT02
I've went from a flashy XION case to a Antec 900 to this. I always mention that I never, ever want to spend the amount of money I did for a case ($220), but at the same time, it's one case that I pretty much fell in love with when I put my current computer together inside of it. It's minimalistic look doesn't get old on me and its design on the inside works great. I can get over the part that the top 5.25" bay has short clearance, but I never really care about 5.25" bay stuff anyway.

This might be the only case I'll ever use. If I'm going to build another PC, I'm going to stuff the innards of the old one in a new case.

2. Samsung Series 830 SSD
I bought one for my desktop, but that was just to replace an OCZ I somehow bricked (they sent me a replacement... but yeah). But that's not what that was for. I bought another one when it was on sale for my laptop. It also gave me an excuse to go buy another tool kit. In any case, after working around in the laptop, struggling to get the system to boot from it... I basically was laughing at how much faster it is.

And it gave my laptop a bit of a battery life boost as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:18 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

- ABIT IC7-MAX3 mobo

- NEC Multisync FE2111 CRT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

No contest: in 2007, switching from landline-hogging 56k dialup service on one PC to 3.0Mbps DSL with a router for multiple PCs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:36 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

My Voodoo2.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Toss up between ViewSonic X Series VX922 and MSI Wind U120-024. Both I still use and haven't given me a single fit and ROCK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I'll agree strongly with the Klipsch Ultra 5.1's. I've had mine for years and love 'em to death. For a more recent purchase I just got a new Catleap 27" monitor. Went from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440. The extra real-estate is great! And despite my trepidation at ordering a monitor from overseas it arrived very quickly in great shape and the picture is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

SSD. Used mechanical HDDs for over 20 years and working in the IT field its always been mechanical drives. Heard co-workers say how much better their computer is with an SSD and online reviews so when I built my new PC this year I couldn't resist just to see if they were right. Better then I expected. I guarantee I wouldn't be as happy as I am with my new PC if it was using a standard 7200rpm drive. SSD was my greatest purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Wow, that is a tough one. The first CPU I got that had a built in (affordable) FPU that taught me the value of a math coprocessor? My second video card that promised to emulate 16-color CGA on a monochrome monitor? A 2400 baud Haynes modem? I guess I'd go with a Seagate (Stuttgart?) HDD controller that turned my 20MB MFM half height, 5.25" HDD into a 50% faster transfer rate (via on the fly compression) into a 30MB RLL drive. 50% bigger and faster for a few bucks cheat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

That's a toughie.

It might be the third-party 5.25" FDD and FDD controller units and required 512KB RAM upgrade that cost several times as much as the TRS-80 CoCo3 I added them to. Next thing I knew I was booting OS-9 and multitasking on the CoCo's Motorola 6809. It had a full point-and-click GUI, albeit with a joystick instead of a mouse.

It might be my first hardware RAID card and four 20GB Quantum Fireballs that opened my eyes to what a system-choking bottleneck storage was (and still often is).

It might be my first 4xVertex SSD RAID-0 array that totally blew my 4xRaptor HDD array out of the water and forever relegated my HDDs to external storage.

It might be my first instant-on Zenbook UX21E that immediately replaced everything except my main i7-2600K/Revo3x2 desktop system and reaffirmed i86 as my CPU architecture of choice.

It might even be my 6-year-old 42" Insignia 1080p LCD that changed how my computer relates to a roomful of people. Instead of turning my back on the room to consult the computer, everyone could participate in reading answers and watching videos. Instead of being an impediment to sociability, it became a focal point of sociability.

So many choices.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:48 am 

I would have to say that the absolute best purchase that I ever made was a refurbished computer a HP Compaq dx2000 Microtower PC - Celeron D 2.5GHz, 1GB, 40GB, CD, - Ubuntu Linux that I had completely rebuilt. I think the thing costed me like $50-$60. By far the best thing that I have ever done

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 am 

For me it was getting an upgrade from 1MB of Ram to 4MB in my Dell 386 machine. It was sweet bc it had the extra math coprocessor....lol. After that upgrade I was able to play Betrayal at Krondor and thats all I cared about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betrayal_at_Krondor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

hindolio wrote:
ABIT IC7-MAX3 mobo
Wow, how'd I forget that one? Bump my 2nd place Asus 925xe board and slide this one in. Looooved that board.
n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
My Voodoo2.
Ahhh...it wasn't as fun without OG SLI; even if a single Voodoo2 3000 beat two of them Voodoo1's up ;)

Anyone still holding onto a Sony CRT? Finally had to let the Veiwsonic 19pf+ and Sony 22" go. I just recycled two stupid monitors that use to be the cost of a used economy vehicle (the Viewsonic obviously just being the cost of the tires for said vehicle).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

So many to list. One that stands out from the early days is an Epyx Fast Load cartridge for the Commodore 64. After that, I recall a serious performance bump upgrading from a 286 to a 486DX2/66, which added a serious pep to Leisure Suit Larry's step in the VGA remake of the first game.

Sound Blaster 16 is another one, along with the Dr. SBAITSO software that came with it.