Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Is This Worth Installing??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

robertco300 wrote:
Gotta give respect when respect is due, Dr. cha!!!

I did notice a performance boost when I switched to AHCI instead of IDE but two things happened. BIOS only listed 4 SATA ports and not 5 and when I booted to the Win 7 on the other hard drive, it hung up and restarted. Wouldn't work until I put it back to IDE.

Anyway, I hit my system with 5 firmware updaters. They all showed progress bars, sectors being loaded but they all showed the same, old 2.15 version when finished. One of them must have finally took cause it is running just like it used to. Running HD on big tv while surfing high speed and downloading big files. Without the update, my big download files would be corrupted when I unzipped them, like all the stuff I was doing on the pc interfered with the download. Now no problem at all.

Windows is funny like that... once you install it under IDE mode, it won't work in AHCI mode & vice-versa.

You would need to be in AHCI mode for the firmware to update and for SSD to opperate at maximum potential. IDE was designed for the Parallel ATA interface, while AHCI was designed to take full advantage of the Serial ATA interface. Controller inside your SSD is designed to work through AHCI mode, and while you can use SSD's in IDE mode, they need to be under AHCI mode in order to update the firmware.

Although I haven't heard of anyone running into your issues while running their SSD under IDE mode, the combination of old drivers, old firmware, & IDE mode may have been working in harmony to give your system it's headaches of late.

Glad things seem to be 'back to normal' for ya!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
even though I'm getting some kind of passive-aggressive vibe from chaosdm.

Well ya know, sometimes you make really good points.... and other times you should hold your tongue or rather fingers ;) :P :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

chaosdsm wrote:
Well ya know, sometimes you make really good points.... and other times you should hold your tongue or rather fingers ;) :P :lol:

Eh, bad habit of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Windows on the non-SSD now does NOT hang anymore and runs fine. Know why? Cause I forgot to do the regedit that is required to switch to AHCI.

Can't remember the location but I had to change a 3 to a 0 and reboot. Got the instructions off the net. I just forgot to do it to the other hard drive and once I did, Win 7 booted up perfectly.

Now I just assumed one of the many firmware proggys I used just finally took cause non of my downloads were corrupted anymore yet, OCZ Toolbox was still showing 2.15. Maybe now with AHCI really working properly, maybe I should try again.....the firmware update?????