Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: One of my CPU cores is running at 100%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:41 pm 

My Intel i5 processor is running at 100% at idle on one core and the other core is running flat. How do I fix this problem?

Post subject: Re: One of my CPU cores is running at 100%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Open up Task Manager and find out which process that's not System Idle is using the most CPU and figure out what that is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Open up Task Manager and find out which process that's not System Idle is using the most CPU and figure out what that is.

Deferred procedure calls and interrupted requests. This is a brand new install and drive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Okay. That doesn't answer the question. Or it does, and it's one of your hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Okay. That doesn't answer the question. Or it does, and it's one of your hardware.

I thought maybe it was the video card driver so I installed the latest greatest but no change. Can a corrupt operating system file or software install cause such a thing. I might try installing Win7 on another drive just to see if it repeats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Maybe, but if it was corrupt, it would be the scheduler, and it'd probably do something haphazardly, like a random core is 100%, or things are going out of whack. You could try reinstalling or doing a repair install. Or maybe run in safe mode, and see if something is still hogging the CPU.

EDIT: Or it may not be the scheduler. Just thinking out loud.

Either way, you want to try to limit your variables here. So a more thoughtful approach would be:
  • Try a repair install first
  • If it still happens, run in Safe Mode, so just the bare minimum loads.
  • If it goes away, we know it's one of your drivers.
    • Reinstall Wnidows completely, make sure your CPU is still not being kept at 100%.
    • Install drivers one at a time until the problem happens.
  • If it still happens, then it's hardware, somewhere.
    • Run the computer with bare minimal hardware configuration. So CPU, 1 stick of RAM, and hard drive (you can use the CPU's iGPU).
    • If it goes away, then if you had a video card, we can put blame on that, however, I'd also put RAM as suspect as well, unless you ran MemTest and it came back fine.
    • If it still happens, I would replace the motherboard. A bad CPU is kind of like winning the lottery.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 am 

Will do tonight and report back later. So glad my files are backed up :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:04 pm 

Well I decided to take the fan off and clean the cpu contacts and ram contacts with pure Alcohol. I also cleaned the video card contacts as well. Put it all back together and she's running fine now. BTW, with the stock cooler I'm running at 60-63 degrees C. Is this okay? Seems a little hot for idle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am 

Temps lowered to upper 30's. Installed Hyper 212 Plus in Pull only config. Not Push. Screw what everybody else is doing by pushing. If pull is good for car radiators its good for this rig.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just out of curiosity on the push vs. pull I found this http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com/Ra ... eview.html

What they basically said is:
Quote:
Push Vs Pull - This depends on fan speed/power. The high speed fans at 2000RPM with a 38mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a push condition. The slow speed fans with 1350RPM with a 25mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a pull condition. I would estimate that performance line is likely to cross in the 1500-1700RPM range where they are equal. So.... slow speed = pull, high speed = push, medium speed = it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Just out of curiosity on the push vs. pull I found this http://martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com/Ra ... eview.html

What they basically said is:
Quote:
Push Vs Pull - This depends on fan speed/power. The high speed fans at 2000RPM with a 38mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a push condition. The slow speed fans with 1350RPM with a 25mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a pull condition. I would estimate that performance line is likely to cross in the 1500-1700RPM range where they are equal. So.... slow speed = pull, high speed = push, medium speed = it doesn't really matter.

My fan runs at 1940 rpm but even so it should not make a difference...push or pull...with the same air temps going across the fins. If it did, I think GM would have fixed that a looooooong time ago on cars :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

jberenyi wrote:
My fan runs at 1940 rpm but even so it should not make a difference...push or pull...with the same air temps going across the fins. If it did, I think GM would have fixed that a looooooong time ago on cars :)

Well cars it's a different matter. On a front mounted engine, 10 times out of 10, the radiator is up front because it makes sense. On top of shorter coolant travel, when the car's moving, it's pushing air against the radiator. Having a fan in a push configuration doesn't make sense because:

• If it was pushing from the inside out, it would be blowing air against the air coming against the car as it's moving.
  • If it was pushing from the outside in, this presents two problems
    • The fan is now a hazard because now you need to protect it against someone stupid enough or kids that may want to put their hand past the front grille.
    • The radiator basically acts like a barrier/filter against things like bugs, rocks, debris, etc.

Having it in a pull configuration on the inside works because now you're going with airflow, the air you wanted to use to cool the radiator has already passed through it, the radiator acts like a basic filter against coarse objects, and it can still create airflow when the car is stopped.

On a rear engine car... well now you have other issues to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I don't think you are correct about fans on cars pushing air through the radiator, there have been quite a few over the years that have done it. even Mercedes, and there are dual fan aftermarket fans available as well. they are just electric and not belt driven like a standard fan that is mounted on the engine