Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hospital has decent internet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:13 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

A few of you know why i spend alot of time in the hospital. Ive also talked about building a small PC into a piece of small carry on luggage with wheels. Ive put that idea on the back burner, LCD was out of my pricerange right now. So i just haul my whole rig up. No one up here cares if you do, they just dont provide the internet, but what they do provide is a phone line. Well, right next to the phone jack are 2 ethernet jacks. Hmm...do i use the 56k line or test the ethernet?

I plugged into the jack, MSN instantly connects!! Jump on internet and no luck. They have computers available throughout the hospital for patient/guest use. A few minutes doing some recon on one tells me all the proxy info i need, as well as a user name and password which are conveniently left on a sticky note in the computer rooms. I go back to my room, enter the info and voila! Im in : )

First thing i needed to do was test the line. I figured they had a T1 or T3 in here, so i wanted to check it out. dslreports.com was my next stop. A test shows im getting 2.3 down and 2.2 up, woohoo! Those upload speeds make all the difference compared to my 256k Charter at home. Now if i could only host my game server here without getting caught, lol. Ive decided to just chat, browse the web and check email. Game servers and file sharing will be left off so i dont give myself away and lose a good thing. Thats my story for the night!

For those that are curious, im at Spectrum Health, downtown Grand Rapids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

haha. sweet deal

Post subject: Re: Hospital has decent internet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:24 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

ricksickle wrote:
A few minutes doing some recon on one tells me all the proxy info i need, as well as a user name and password which are conveniently left on a sticky note in the computer rooms. I go back to my room, enter the info and voila! Im in : )

Not surprising at all. These end users are almost always complete morons. Leaving info like Usernames and passwords on sticky notes on the monitor is against HIPPA regulations. Yet these assclowns do it all the time.

BTW, I work in the I.S. Dept. in a hospital, so I have a bit of an Idea as to how laughable some of the 'security' is. It's usually because of the aforementioned moron end users and budget constraints. :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:29 pm 

I dont want to give the hospital a bad rep, lol. In this particular case, the username and password left on the sticky note were there for patient use so they could access the internet thru the proxy without each patient calling the IT dept. It just happened that they didnt lock that UN/PW to that computer/IP so i was able to use it upstairs in the patient rooms.

Although I did notice that workstation computers in the hall werent locked down. I borrwed a mouse pad while there the last time and the screen came right back to some patients file. HIPPA huh...where was that form i sign 3 times a day there, lol.