Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Remote Streaming instead of cloud
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:31 pm 

What setups do you guys use when you want to stream photos, videos, or files from your home computer to mobile device while out on the road. Is Windows Home Server a good option? I like to keep my stuff private and I dont want the cloud option because I dont believe they should have access to my data. So what do you guys use inplace of cloud computing if you do not wish to share you data with another company?

Post subject: Re: Remote Streaming instead of cloud
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What you don't like coughing up all your data for the world to parse, sort, sift and steal? That makes two of us! Use OpenVPN or Hamachi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 am 

I guess we are the only 2 in the world who dont believe in sharing our HDD with the world. We are so 2010.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:00 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I just don't believe in leaving my computer on 24/7 while I'm out of town.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Countless data centers do it, why should we have any issue? Actually, either do I, that's why my set up uses WOL connected thru a CyberPower UPS. Absolutely no reason to play monkey to the Cloud. Sing with just a little ping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

kleinkinstein wrote:
Countless data centers do it, why should we have any issue? Actually, either do I, that's why my set up uses WOL connected thru a CyberPower UPS. Absolutely no reason to play monkey to the Cloud.

Because... they're a data center and I'm not? Let's put it this way in my case.

• I already know that the internet in any non-residential establishment sucks. I'm lucky if I even can get an entire 480p YouTube video to play without buffering every five seconds. So there's no point in me trying to stream videos or anything else that demands high-bandwidth.
    • I don't even watch most of the videos on my hard drive. Most of what I watch is just Let's Plays and the like these days
    • That or Netflix.
  • I don't take a lot of pictures. And when I do take a lot of pictures in a given setting, it's usually for the sake of taking pictures.
  • All of my devices have all the music I could ever care to actually listen to, if I wanted music. And if anything, I usually have my Zune HD.
  • I can count the number of word documents I care about with both hands.

So you can see in my case, I have no real reason to leave my computer up to stream anything. And most of my digital life (that I care about) can still be contained in a handful of DVDs. Does this make me a sad person? Well, could I ask if you're a sad person if you need at least a hundred DVDs worth of data to store your digital life?

But yeah, you could just use a VPN, set up an SFTP server, or build a small Linux-based PC to run as your NAS box.