Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel CEO Says Windows 8 is Not Fully Ready
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:07 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Not ready?! Mee ohh myy, say it ain't so!

Post subject: Re: Intel CEO Says Windows 8 is Not Fully Ready
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm wondering... what bugs?

I also still have sentiments that the Vista hate was blown out of proportion. I used the OS frequently when I bought a laptop in late 2007 that had it and saw no real reason to switch back to XP when I made Vista my primary OS in early 2008, for two reasons:
  • SP1 was out by then, it ironed out the OS very well.
  • Vista is way more secure than XP

I mean hell, Vista SP2 is essentially Windows 7 without the taskbar. The other thing is Vista sort of nudged the *nix security model on Windows (i.e., even if you're an admin, start user initiated programs as a standard user), and this broke many programs. So is it Microsoft's fault? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

LatiosXT wrote:
I mean hell, Vista SP2 is essentially Windows 7 without the taskbar.

Nice! So then, if I were to extend your logic....Win8 is essentially Vista SP4 without the Start orb but with Metro instead.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

kleinkinstein wrote:
Nice! So then, if I were to extend your logic....Win8 is essentially Vista SP4 without the Start orb but with Metro instead.

Then you didn't understand my logic. I'd probably be laughed at if I said Windows XP SP3 is really just Windows 2000 SP8.

There's actually a little more after SP2. Just before Microsoft released Windows 7, they released the Platform Upgrade for Vista. It essentially brought over most of core modules from Windows 7 into Vista. It didn't bring it up to the same feature set or performance, but it's not like you'd really notice anyway.

In any case, pretty much all of Microsoft's major releases except Windows 7 have been met with an outspoken negativity. I've heard Windows XP basically was crap until SP2. And then before that Windows 2000 was crap until SP4. And I'm sure Windows 98 wasn't really that amazing until 98SE. Heck, I'm sure when people upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP, a ton of things broke because things were expecting the DOS model instead of the NT model (the first bad sign: your program is going "This program was not designed for Windows NT", even though it could run just fine).

And the thing with comparing Windows Vista to Windows Me... Vista was at least usable and I'm pretty sure the unusability was just those who upgraded without doing any real research on their computer or they were running at minimum requirements... which yeah. Try using Windows XP with 128MB of RAM. It's pretty bad. Even then, I'm questioning just how bad Windows Me really is. I've had two friends who used it for quite some time and claimed they had no problems. I've used it for a month or two on my first custom built computer, and I had no problems.

Either way, you didn't answer the question. You just made a snide remark to the effect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The snide remark was for effect! Who said Win8 has bugs? Intel says it's not ready...big difference? Yet, can we call Metro a bug?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The title of the article is "Windows 8 Bugs Hurt Microsoft, Intel Chief Said to Say" and then there's:

Quote:
“We are concerned at the level of bugs and fine tuning that appears necessary to get the beta systems we demoed ready for prime time,” Alex Gauna, an analyst at JMP Securities LLC in San Francisco, wrote in a Sept. 13 note in response to versions of Windows 8 shown at Intel’s recent developer forum.

Now it looks like you didn't even read the article.

At the end of the day, I'm finding this article to be nothing but FUD.