Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AM3/AM3+ Differences????
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I will assume size cause the heatsinks I want don't list the AM3+ as compatible but I just wanted to confirm. What are the differences between the two and will a heatsink that fits the AM3 fit an AM3+???

Post subject: Re: AM3/AM3+ Differences????
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Got this quote from Wiki:

"There is also a redesigned CPU cooler retention harness allowing for slightly better airflow for CPU cooling, while retaining cooler backward compatibility."

Does cooler backward compatibility mean AM3 coolers CAN still fit on the AM3+ sockets? Don't worry about the explanation of the differences, read all about them on Wiki.

Now I am curious if anyone has used an AM3 socket heatsink/cooler on an AM3+ socket???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Cooler wise, there's no difference, I've swapped retention brackets between AM3 & AM3+ boards, they're identical.

The difference is only in CPU support. Most AM3 boards do not support Bulldozer CPU's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Usually for AMD, most high-end aftermarket coolers don't use the OEM retention system. Really all that matters is where the holes are on the motherboard for mounting. If it's the same exact spec, then they're compatible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:08 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well I'm of course gonna use a socket AM3+ board, 990FX chipset and in October, AMD is introducing the 2nd generation of their bulldozer which I am considering. With all of this, should a heatsink/cooler made for an AM3 CPU/MOBO fit for what I might get above???

What's messin me up is over at Directron, some of their coolers have AM3+ listed as compatible and some just have AM3 listed. Has me concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:11 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Here's a handy way to find out

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

eeeeeeee......you still use Google???? All of the tracking and saving of your info and the ease of which they allow the government, without a warrant, to search your search history????? Not for me.

People forget there are a bunch of other search sites out there besides Google and a few that are definitely not as friendly with the government as Google is.

Yes, I know the other search sites keeps your info too it's just that Google actually creates software and leases it out to the government and municipalities so THEY can search your queries very easily and without warrant. THAT is going too far and THAT is something almost all the other search sites do NOT do. I haven't used Google in over 2 years and God willing will never use again.

PLEASE......please don't ever post a link to a Google search in any of my threads again. Please, I really do appreciate the help and this is NOT a negative thing. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Okay. Here you go..

The point is: in the time you've spent making this topic and waiting for replies, you could've found that yes, coolers made for AMD processors have been backwards/forwards compatible since AM2. Meaning any cooler designed between AM2 to AM3+ will work on any motherboard designed for AM2 to AM3+.

Also how do you know the other search engines aren't in the same league as Google, and Google's the only one with the biggest PR stink right about now? It was like when we were all rallying against SOPA, but nobody paid attention to the other bill that Obama signed that effectively said that the US military can detain, indefinitely, anyone who they think is a terrorist. No warrant. No trial. Just piss off the wrong person and you find yourself in Guantanamo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Rear retention bracket (part on the back of the motherboard) & mounting holes for AM2 through AM3+ and even FM1 are all the same... well, the FM1 bracket has longer posts on the bracket, but the actual hole spacing is the same, so anything that mounts using the AMD mounting holes for any AM series board will fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I already got the compatability for my cooler and it works with all the products I am buying. Done deal.

The only thing I DO KNOW is Google is not good. That's the only fact I know so I go by that.