Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trying to get the most out of my network
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm 

First off, let me explain how my current network is setup. I have Cat5 drops ran to every room in the house. I have cable internet and the cable runs straight from the outside to to my modem. Since I don't subscribe to cable tv, I didn't want to degrade the signal with a splitter. I have a small wall rack that I mounted inside a wall in my laundry room that has my router and a switch (I would have put my modem in there also, but it's not rack mountable. This setup has worked pretty well, but up until now I haven't had wireless (I purposefully bought a non-wireless router since it would be useless inside a wall and surround by a metal rack). I just now bought a new wireless router to be able to use with my gadgets and want to get the most out of it. I have it in the center of the house and it is currently connected by a drop that connects to the wired router inside the rack.

My question is, will going through two sets up modems affect anything? My new wireless router has all kinds of settings that I'm interested in learning how to use, but will the settings in my wired router override that stuff? Should I rely on the wired modem for all my settings? I have the option of just completely bypassing the wired router if that would be best scenario, it would just take some rewiring. Now once I get the answer to this, I will have more questions about the settings in my router that would give me the most benefits. Thanks for any help, and if you need any clarification about my setup, I'll be happy to help.

Post subject: Re: Trying to get the most out of my network
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A way you can do this is to connect the wireless router to the wired one (through the LAN ports, the wireless's WAN should not be occupied), turn off the wireless router's DHCP, and assign a static IP to the wireless router (192.168.1.2 or something). You should turn off any other protection features on the wireless router, as they are redundant and may cause problems.

Post subject: Re: Trying to get the most out of my network
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm 

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes for me to use the wireless as the main router, since I'd want all settings such as device preference (which one should get the most bandwidth) to be managed from the wireless router. I still need the wired router for the ports, as the switch doesn't have enough for all my rooms, so I'd have to keep it in the setup. To do this, I guess I could move my modem to the same room as the wireless and then connect the LAN port from the wireless to the LAN on the wired. From there I'm guessing I could do what you suggest and turn off all features on the wired router and just use it as a switch. Would this work?