Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading a Compaq, need Help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

A friend of my mothers had some PC problems lately and wanted me to do the work, instead of hiring a company. I know a modest amount, but I'm not an expert.

It's a Compaq Presario SR2173WM Desktop:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 352589#N65

I have come to the conclusion that her Motherboard is the culprit and I would like some help getting one, for cheap. I have been out of the PC world for a few years, so not sure the best place to shop anymore. I would love it if you guys could post some links on a new one that would be compatible, for less than $75USD, cheaper the better. She doesn't want anything fancy, no games or anything, just browsing the Internet.

Let me tell you about what's going on with the PC. A couple days ago she was getting no signal to her monitor, she called me over and I unplugged the monitor and PC, it booted right up afterwards. A few weeks later she called me about the same thing, this time unplugging didn't help, it would not POST. I grabbed a working monitor from my house, that didn't work either. I then took the PC to my house and tried various things, nothing helped.

The only hardware change that was made to this PC, was a few months ago I installed 4gb of RAM over her 1gb.
She uses onboard Video btw
Here are the things I have tried so far:
    Different PSU
    Clearing CMOS, Jumpers & Battery
    Different Monitor
    Changing RAM around
    Tried with no HDD, tried it with a different HD
    Tried with a PCI GPU
    Used different power/monitor cables
    Tried a Barebones boot
    Reseated CPU/made sure everything was pushed in completely

The PC turns on..Lights, Fans, HDD Lights - but no signal on Monitor. This PC doesn't have a Speaker to hear POST Beeps, so the only thing I can think of is the MoBo is bad.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer, sooner the better!!!

~Mike.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading a Compaq, need Help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:17 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Question: is the motherboard mounted on the left side or right side, in relation to the front? And if left side, are the expansion slots on the bottom?

If this is the case, the computer is using a BTX formfactor motherboard, which you won't find anywhere. Even a MicroATX motherboard wouldn't be physically compatible (the I/O would be in the wrong place).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

PSU is up top and Slots are at the bottom. ...so Left yea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Guess I'll need to get a case then?!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:54 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Don't jump to spending more just yet. How old is this system? What's the cpu? What does she use it for?

Last edited by kleinkinstein on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:00 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The CPU is in the Link. Only going to be used to browsing the Internet. Has vista on it.

I guess since the BTX Board isn't going to work, would be be a better bet to buy new parts in total, new Case, MoBo, CPU? I thought this would be a fast and easy fix, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That's what I thought, web browsing is the use case here. Meh! Agasp! Perhaps you should introduce her to an ipad. In all seriousness, just advise her on picking up a nice new i3 or i5 Ivy laptop for <$500. Tiger Direct just had a fantastic Asus i5 Ivy for $400 earlier in the week. This one. A lappy provides a whole new world of portable computing, but is she really wants her Firefox affixed to an anchor (aka, desktop) here is a combo for $90 that's tough to top.

$89 barebone combo:

AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Dual-Core (+iGPU)
MSI A55M-P33 Micro ATX Motherboard (+UEFI BIOS)
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

= $104.99

- $6 (Coupon Code: AMDfastpitch)
- $10 Mail-In-Rebate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

He needs a new case. BTX cases will not fit an ATX motherboard without modification.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Any insight as to whether I'm correct about this being the MoBo?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

littlemikesc wrote:
Any insight as to whether I'm correct about this being the MoBo?

If it resembles this (note where the IO panel and expansion slots are), then it's BTX.

I also had a herp-derp moment, I took a closer link provided. The picture provided looks like an ATX motherboard. But I want to be sure what the form factor really is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:20 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It doesn't look like the Pic you provided....so I guess mines an Micro-ATX then, lol.

Also, looking for advice on another way to check that the MoBo is failing...I got to thinking, maybe the CPU is the problem....I don't know anymore..sigh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well the only way you can is to get another CPU that fits the socket. If you have $20 to spare, you can buy one of these many refurbs from Newegg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

It sounds like you did a bunch of testing already, but without a working PC that you can swap parts into, I don't know if you will be able to find the culprit. From your tests thus far, it's probably not the PSU, monitor, HDD or cables. Therefore, one or more issues could exist with the CPU, one of more RAM modules (unless you tried each and every one in different slots), the on-board video or something else on the mobo.

If you are at your wits end, I concur with kleinkinstein - perhaps a new PC is in order. Athlon 64 is probably not as old as BTX though, but dinosaur enough lol. I could be wrong.

If your helpee is a senior, a laptop might not be suitable - small screen size, awkward kb, etc. Perhaps a Dell-like so-called custom PC? If budget is an issue, maybe a newer open box PC on the Egg that you could troubleshoot better if necessary? Or a custom build by you, of course, if you have the time and energy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, guess I'll talk to her to see what she wants to do. I do know that she doesn't want to spend a lot, as she uses a Tablet mostly. Yea, I tried every combo of RAM-Swapping possible. Might just order one of the cheap CPU's first to test that out, if they allow returns on it?!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:22 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

That is clearly a micro-ATX AM2 MB from the image and the linked spec states so, but it lists a socket 939 CPU. Here is the correct broken link. You may have to buy used/reconditioned off of eBay/Craigslist.

Not worth doing.

A new MB must support DDR2, and the current CPU and use nVidia graphics to likely allow just a swap without reinstalling the OS (from a retail/OEM) not HP/Compaq disk. Even then the graphics chip would likely have to be series 7 or 8 just to get enough boot to allow updating the graphics driver. You could try booting in safe mode and hope its low rez VGA graphics allows uninstalling the nVidia graphics driver...but I would not be optimistic.

Depending upon which of 7 models of CPU that is, this MB should work (CPU support list), but it only has 2 DDR2 slots and it uses AMD graphics not nVidia so either a safe mode entry to remove the nVidia driver or a clean install with the same version of the OS as the product key on the case would be needed.