Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is This Possible???
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Messed up the boot sector on one of my slave drives, Windows C drive can't recognize it. Slave drives have no jumpers so I was thinking....is it possible to install a jumper to a slave drive and make it bootable (even though it has no OS installed on it?). Thought maybe go into BIOS and have it boot to it after installing the jumper.

Post subject: Re: Is This Possible???
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:32 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

What make drive is it....WD Seagate? You can use their formatting utility to repair the boot-sector on the slave drive. Just go to the website and get the ISO file and use your burn programs ISO section to burn a bootable cd, boot to it and use the utility in the program that comes up to repair the hard drives boot sector.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:52 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Boot up testdisk and repair it (kudos to LatiosXT!!!!)

Make and complete model number of HDD, because your terminology is confusingly wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

How can I run testdisk when Windows won't boot up with the problem drive plugged in?????

I can plug the problem drive in after I boot to Windows but testdisk doesn't see it when I run it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I try to get into Safe Mode w/Command Prompt to try and run TestDisk.exe. I hit F1 then F8 and system files start to load up and then it just hangs, won't continue. Similar to when Windows hangs when the D drive is plugged in. I unplug the D drive, then I can get into Safe Mode so it seems to be a physical thing. How the hell can I repair this drive? When it's plugged in, Windows can't load and I can't get into Safe Mode.

It's a 640GB WD6400.... hard drive and it is my oldest drive. Has it seen it's last days????

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

• Get the Linux version of TestDisk on a thumb drive
  • Get Parted Magic, burn to a CD or make a bootable thumb disk. Boot from there.
  • If Parted Magic doesn't have a recovery tool, use TestDisk

Didn't we have this discussion before?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:29 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Or pop in your windows cd and do a "repair" to the system. It will repair windows without disturbing your programs and data.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well... here's what I'm wondering now. If the hard drive with the bad boot sector is a slave, then why is it causing Windows to not boot? A slave implies it's a secondary, non-booting drive. You can still boot into Windows if the other drives have bad boot sectors.

Unless you installed something critical on that drive, or the boot drive is the slave drive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you try to unplug the "bad" drive and see if the system boots?....and no you can't boot a slave drive, the operating system is on the primary partition of your first drive which is set active.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks for all your replies.

I can't get anything going when the messed up drive is plugged in. Can't boot into Windows, can't boot into Safe Mode. Unplug messed up drive, then I can do both so it "seems" to be a physical thing which I worry about.

My only hope is when problem drive is plugged in and I go into BIOS, it does show up. I can't run these programs you guys are suggesting, I tried the Windows CD repair thing and guess what????? System just hanged trying to load cause the D drive was plugged in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

First, I apologize for the mulitple threads on basically the same problem. It seems to morph into a different direction and I am moved to create a new thread which I know is frowned upon here. I'm sorry.

I'm REALLY trying to avoid paying $80/hr to try and get this drive going again. Since BIOS "sees" it I feel it is not physically broken, especially since I restored the boot sector in the C drive that got messed up at the same time.

My best bet is the boot sector, on my slave drive, is making it impossible for Windows in ANY mode to communicate with this drive.

I can get to Safe Mode w/Command Prompt without the bad drive plugged in. Once there, can I plug the bad drive back in and run TestDisk.exe from there? If I do, will it see the bad drive or not (I assume not). In Safe Mode the command line is something like C:\Windows\system32\

What do I type in after I get this far? Also, what are some of the things the computer guys I pay gonna do different that I can't do???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Do what I suggested in my first post only this time unplug the C drive, then run the bootable setup disk you made using the ISO file from the hard drives website. Fix the mbr then shut the machine down and plug the C drive back in.....does it boot now? If not there may be something wrong with the electronic board on the hard drive. The way to check that out is find an Identical hard drive and switch the electronic packages. Does the system boot and can you now see the hard drive in Explorer? If it don't you may have a mechanical failure in the drive itself....in which case you have to send the drive out to a recovery service....you are looking at big bucks here.

Nasty