Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WD Passport 320GB USB 3.0 = $32
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Western Digital My Passport 320GB USB 3.0 Black Portable Hard Drive (WDBKXH3200ABK-NESN) is on clearance at your local Target store for $0.10/GB. No promises that any remain on the shelf but it's typically a $70 portable hdd...from Amazon to NewEgg to Best Buy to Wal-mart, all the same. All in hopes of clearing stock as they launch their new drives. So keep an eye on the larger more useful Passports to fire sale too.

Now only if WD would ever opt to get out in front of the market! They could have made things real enticing with endowing their new Passport Edge's with Thunderbolt. Wake up marketing department!!

Post subject: Re: WD Passport 320GB USB 3.0 = $32
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

kleinkinstein wrote:
Now only if WD would ever opt to get out in front of the market! They could have made things real enticing with endowing their new Passport Edge's with Thunderbolt. Wake up marketing department!![/color]

Um...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=860
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=630

Designed for Mac, but works with Windows once you change the file system... actually all external Thunderbolt drives work with Windows provided your motherboard has a "certified" Thunderbolt connector & you change the file system on the external drive.

Due to price of Thunderbolt products, I still prefer USB 3.0 & eSATA III external devices. To that end, I use this http://www.shopaddonics.com/Itemdesc.as ... SP&eq=&Tp= along with a 128GB Vertex 4 SSD over eSATA III connection for transfer rates up to 400MB/sec.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:06 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

:oops: Yep, I think they launched their new Raptor duo drives the same day last week I was calling for some marketing heads to roll. And like you, I'm all esata and usb3 with predominately coolmax enclosures. I know t'bolt is coming but just the added extraneous cost of the cable ($50) is a deal breaker. For now. I'll wait until everyone starts screaming for it. But for now, no one seems to know it even exists.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Thunderbolt's only nice feature is you can daisy chain in series and it may provide enough power so you only need the cable. Otherwise, for hard drives, you would need RAID 0 with 6 drives on the fastest performing drive before you could claim you're using it for bandwidth. It's just too bad USB3.0 doesn't supply enough juice (4.5W at the most)... I can't wait for the USB spec to come out that can provide 100W (25W would be good enough for pretty much 99% of peripherals)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:23 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Thunderbolt's only nice feature is you can daisy chain in series and it may provide enough power so you only need the cable. Otherwise, for hard drives, you would need RAID 0 with 6 drives on the fastest performing drive before you could claim you're using it for bandwidth. It's just too bad USB3.0 doesn't supply enough juice (4.5W at the most)... I can't wait for the USB spec to come out that can provide 100W (25W would be good enough for pretty much 99% of peripherals)

100W has been possible (though AFAIK never implemented) since USB 2.0 came out... My motherboard currently supports 10-12W on all USB ports including the 4 USB 3.0 ports, http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/185/on-off-charge.htm & up to 30W on up to 3 ports (10W each) when shut down thanks to the 6 amps my PSU supplies over the +5Vsb rail.

From the official USB specifications:

The USB 2.0 PD Standard-B connector is defined to facilitate deliver of up to 100 Watts. An ID pin supports PD identification. Refer to Section 3.2.5 for mechanical details, pin assignments, and descriptions.

The USB 3.0 PD Standard-B connector is defined to facilitate delivery of up to 100 Watts. An ID pin supports PD identification. Refer to Section 3.2.6 for mechanical details, pin assignments, and descriptions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Quote:
USB Power Delivery Specification Revision 1.0 as of July 5, 2012 and corresponding Adopters Agreement

This would suggest the document was revised then to include the 100W spec, which also includes USB3.0. So it was never designed to meet 100W from the get go.

Also I had a herp-derp moment. You don't want 100W from a 5V source. That's 20A, which you would need at least an 8 AWG wire to safely contain for USB cable lengths (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html), and the USB cable by itself looks like 8AWG. The 100W is for 20V @ 5A.