Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Unable to connect to internet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:14 am 

I have a problem that I have never run into before. My desktop computer is an older Dell (2003, March) running XP. All of a sudden last week I lost my internet connection. Because I didn't show an internet light on my DSL modem I contacted the ISP and they sent me a new modem. Everything looked good except still no internet connection LED on the modem. I checked the network adapter in device manager and it showed that the adapter was working correctly (it's an on-baord Intel chip on the motherboard). Just to check I installed a new 3Com network card in the PCI slot and XP installed the drivers automatically. I then restarted the system but it still would not connect to the internet. So, then I got out my laptop and plugged it into the modem using the same cable that had been plugged into the desktop computer. The laptop came right up and connected with absolutely no problem and the internet light on the modem lit up as expected.

So, my question is there something gone bad on the motherboard that would prevent me from being able to connect to the internet even if I'm using a discrete NIC rather than the on-board interface?

Is there something else that I'm overlooking?

Post subject: Re: Unable to connect to internet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Don't use XP's built-in drivers, they're horribly outdated. Go find the ones from the manufacturer's website.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm 

It's not a driver issue as everything was working fine up until the other day when all of a sudden I lost my internet connection. After installing a discrete NIC card it still would not connect. The card is a 3Com NIC card about the same vintage as the XP OS so the XP drivers should be fine for it. I had it in another machine that was running XP and the XP drivers worked great with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well at this point, I would suggest a router/switch. Or go call your ISP on why your computer can't connect to it (I would blame MAC address filtering, but two different NICs have two different MAC addresses)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:09 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I'm stumped. I would say you have pretty much covered it assuming you plugged the Ethernet cable connected to your PC into the laptop and it worked.

That would seem to eliminate all hardware and OS/drivers/software as the culprit.

Laptop would have had new MAC address yet it worked. So the expansion card's MAC address though different should not have been any different.

You did remember to load a driver for the expansion card? And plug into the expansion card and not the MB's Ethernet port?

That eliminates driver problem and bad MB Ethernet port.

Could still be OS related. Try booting up Ubuntu LiveCD and see if the Internet connection works. If it does not, I have no clue. If it does then I'd check my Ethernet apps that are OS related (Windows client, TCP, ISP settings and server addresses ....).

May have to try MS Fix-It, SFC and repair install in that order.

Also possible malware has changed settings on HOSTS or other things.

edit: I just picked up on what LatiosXT was saying. If you use an automated networking agent like Network Magic or manually entered them yourselves your router would block the expansion card's NIC address until you approved it while the laptop is likely already approved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:13 pm 

Yep, I used the same cable from the PC to plug into the laptop and the drivers for the NIC loaded and I looked at the properties and it said it was working correctly. And yes, I really did plug the RJ45 into the NIC card and not the MB E port. This laptop had never been through this DSL modem before so the settings in the modem shouldn't have blocked the PC from access.

I would try MS Fix-It except that I can't access the internet. I did try the OS diagnostic fix solutions but they couldn't determine the problem.

Maybe if I do a repair on the OS it'll clear it up. I suspect that it might be a hardware problem, but that sure doesn't rule out software.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

genecorbin wrote:
....I would try MS Fix-It except that I can't access the internet. ....

Good thing there's an app for that, huh?